Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Male 39 On Wednesday 10th my right upper eyelid became swollen

Customer Question

Male 39

On Wednesday 10th my right upper eyelid became swollen and sore. There must have been discharge in the night as my eye was sticky in the morning. I used over the counter eye drops to no avail.

On Tuesday 16th I visited the doctor who prescribed Rifamcyine Chibret drops and Sterdex ointment. Even though I have only been using a few days this doesn't seem to be working. Indeed, yesterday my left lower eyelid has swollen and is sore. There is no longer discharge in the eyes in the morning.

My right upper eyelid is mildy swollen near the corner of the eye and is a dark purple colour.

Having been sexually active I am worried I have undiagnosed chlamydia although have NO symptoms. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

It is likely that you have an acute internal hordeolum which has caused the lid swelling and tenderness. Topical eye drops and ointment do not help in most cases. Instead it is advisable to take a short course of oral antibiotics which have a better penetration and use in case of lid infections. You can ask your doctor to give a course of oral Augmentin duo 625 mg, 1 tablet twice a day for 5 days. Along with this you can do warm compresses, for 10 minutes, to be done thrice a day. I guess that should take care of the infective component of the eye problem.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Do I have to specifically take the anti biotic you advise (Augmentin duo 625 mg), or can I just say to the doctor that I would rather an oral anti biotic? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure I would be comfortable asking my doctor to prescribe a specific anti biotic!

Thanks again.

Hello Daz,

You are right about asking your doctor to prescribe a specific antibiotic. You can enquire whether this antibiotic would be appropriate however. This is the most common antibiotic given for hordeolum.
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor

Sorry, one final question: will the antibiotics help with the inflammation as I desperately want my eyes to look 'normal' again?

Many thanks for all your help.

Antibiotics will help in case of lid infecions such as hordeolum .Once the infection subsides the eyes will look normal. Do continue with warm compresses as suggested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond..

Since Friday 19th I have been taking doxycyline tablets 100mg twice a day. Although only a few days they do not seem to be working. As you can see from the attached photo there's inflammation of the left upper eye lid (my right eye) and the huge lump on the other.

I am also taking chibro-cadron eye drops 5 times a day and performing hot compresses as advised.

Am I being impatient or is there something more sinister at work here?

All advice gratefully received!

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5731/dsc01235z.jpg

Hello Daz,

The image surely looks like that of an internal hordeolum. It is just a simple infection of the sebaceous gland within the eyelid. It should respond well to the warm compresses and antibiotics with 5-7 days. Give it some more time and continue with the warm compresses without fail ( 10 minutes, thrice a day).

Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, doctor. I've given a small tip for the excellent service (it all adds up!)

Thank you and best wishes. Have a great weekend !