Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I have been suffering from tiredness headaches sometimss Swelling

I have been suffering from tiredness headaches sometimss
Swelling of hands and feet currently kidneys are being investigated but still
No clue as to whats going on my eyesight is also degrading and I seem to get very twitchy mostly my face At times I seem to
Struggle to relax enough to use both eyes ( i easily focus Or unfocus eyes one at a time but at times its becoming difficult to concentrate and focus with both) i know yoo many symptoms maybe not related but thought id
Mention them to give a clearer picture. Also a family member told me it could be linked to having had severe bacterial mennigitis septicaemia but this was over 20 yrs ago though I must say my eye sight was perfect before the illness.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The first thing I can assure you is that your present symptoms would not be related to an illness 20 years back.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As for difficulty in focusing with boh eyes at times could be due to a convergence insufficiency.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This occurs due to an imbalance in the eye muscles.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The other explanation for all the symptoms including the swelling of limbs and the focusing issue is early diabetes. Blood sugar levels, Hb1ac, glucose tolerance test would help apart from renal function tests.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is better to get your eyes tested by an ophthalmologist so as to comfirm regarding the focusing issue and eye muscles imbalance.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Meningitis can cause diplopia or double vision due to lateral rectus muscle palsy. But this would have been constant and not intermittent.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that answer to your question?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any. Thank you and best wishes. It was a pleasure to have answered this question. Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry chat dosnt seem to function on my mobile:( Yes simce the mennigitis i see double with each eye if i dont use my glasses. Now though left eye is doubloe even with them. It has always been this way since just worse suddenly. The double i see is one ontop of the other with a 30% overlap. I have been testef for diabetes and glucose tolerance test all negative. Though i fo have a lot of permanant thirst and excessive urination but again no diagnosis

Sorry for the delay in the reply. Thank you for the additional information .

Since the double vision is verticle ( one image above the other) and is expereinced with left eye alone too, it points toward a likelihood of high astigmatism. It is a kind of refractive error in which images are not clear in a particular axis. It can be corrected with cylindrical lenses. I guess the spectacles prescribed to you must have been cylindrical lenses. But it would still be better if you got your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist. It would be advisable to get the eye muscles tested once again. A diplopia charting would also be informative.A rare possibility is that of a long standing fourth nerve palsy or superior oblique muscle weakness. Prisms incorporated in the spectacles would help to overcome the double vision.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince