Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Is there a physical means of suppressing tears?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you having symptoms of constant watering from the eyes?

Customer:

No. It's not a medical issue, per se. It's a genetic trait -- people in my family cry at the drop of a hat. Weddings, sad movies -- no problem. But there are times when it is most inconvenient: job interview, jury duty.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If so ,the exact cause of watering has to be detected. Suppressing tears alone may not help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Unfortunately there are no medicines which can suppress the tears.

Customer:

They are emotional tears. We are just a sensitive, loud, passionate, expressive family.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since your problem is more functional rather than symptom of any disease, it is difficult to treat.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand what you are tying to tell, my mother too has a similar issue.

Customer:

yes. I guess I'm looking for technique, a trick I can use in situations when I don't want to cry but can't stop myself.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are right. It has more to do wih the mind han any form of medicines.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The mind has to be trained not to get affected at the time of such situations.

Customer:

perhaps hypnosis? Have you ever had a patient who has tried it?

Customer:

I also wasn't sure what kind of professional to consult. Do you have any suggestions?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once the mind learns to control the emotions, the tears will not flow. The hypothallamus is the part of the brain whih is responsible for emotions . It is only by sheer will power that one can control emotions. Once done the tearing will get suppressed . I have never suggested hypnosis so far for any kind of ailment. Perhaps a psycologist or a counsellor would help. Since the treatment lies in control of the mind.

Customer:

I'm not sure I want to control or suppress the emotions. I want to address how my body responds to those emotions.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

An ophthalmologist would not be of much help here. Unfortunately tearing of eyes during emotions would vary from individual to individual. It is vey difficult to feel the emotion but suppress its expression. No trick or medicine can help to prevent tears only durings certain emotional moments.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that answer to your question?

Customer:

Not the answer I was hoping for, but yes, I think so. Thank you for taking on a complicated issue.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince