Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For the past six months Ive been experiencing problems that

Customer Question

For the past six months I’ve been experiencing problems that seemed to arise out of nowhere but are getting more serious and scary. I get episodes where I feel like I’m going to faint, my hands start shaking uncontrollably, my heart starts beating extremely fast and strong, I feel dizzy and nauseous. I can feel my pulse in my neck going extremely fast and I can see my pulse beating through the skin on my wrist, in my stomach, and even in my eyes. Sometimes the episode lasts just a minute or two, but sometimes it last longer like 20 minutes. When it first started last September, it was infrequent, perhaps once a week. Now it is happen almost every day. I’m afraid that it will happen when I’m driving or something else very dangerous. I usually try to find a quiet place to wait for the episode to pass, I drink water, sit down, lay my head down. Sometimes I’ll try and eat something if the nausea is not too bad. I’ve tried making a journal to keep track of when these episodes occur but ther
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry, but the last part of your post was cut off. This was the last part that came though:

Dr. Rick :

"I’ve tried making a journal to keep track of when these episodes occur but ther"

Dr. Rick :

Could you please upload the rest of your question?

Customer :

I’ve tried making a journal to keep track of when these episodes occur but there does not seem to be a specific time when they do. I don’t have allergies, the only medication I am on is hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure. I’m 26, female. I am somewhat overweight, although I’ve lost 65 pounds bringing my BMI from 36.4 to 26.6.

Dr. Rick :

thank you for that extra information.

Dr. Rick :

Well, from what you have posted, there could be a number of causes for your symptoms. The most common one at your age would be anxiety.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, in my professional opinion, the best thing you could do would be to get in to see your primary care MD for evaluation and treatment.

Dr. Rick :

What you have done at home up to this point, especially keeping a diary of these events, is very helpful but I think the time has come for you to see an MD and stop taking care of this at home.

Customer :

I thought maybe anxiety too but it seems to come out of nowhere, especially when I'm doing nothing particularly interesting or stressful

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

That is very common for anxiety to pop up that way.....

Customer :

do you think it might have anything to do with a lot of weight loss? I've lost 65 pounds in the last 7 months

Dr. Rick :

It is good that you are loosing weight but I do not this that this, in and of itself, would bring on these symptoms....especially if you are still eating healthy. If you were starving yourself then that could cause all sorts of problems.

Customer :

OK, no I'm eating very healthy and I eat enough calories. Is it normal to be able to see your heart pulse in your stomach and wrist? I can see my heart beat in these places all the time, not just when I'm experiencing one of these episodes.

Dr. Rick :

The first thing to do is a have a good exam to rule out anything serious going on...although, as I said that would be rare at your age. and then, once that is done, there are tons of treatments that can help you.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to continue to suffer...

Dr. Rick :

Yes. In your wrist and yes, in your stomach if you have a thin stomach area.

Dr. Rick :

I doubt you have a huge abdominal aortic aneurysym at 26....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS