Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi there! I had a large pimple like lesion on my left cheek

Customer Question

Hi there! I had a large pimple like lesion on my left cheek that I ended up popping last night. When I woke up this morning, my left lower eye was extremely swollen. It isn't painful or tender with any fluid drainage present. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

One of the things you need to worry about is a skin infection called cellulitis. This is where bacteria get under you skin and spread rapidly.

In this area of your face it can become serious fairly quickly.

I don't mean to worry you, but from what you have posted, it would probably be a good idea to have it checked out at the ER this morning.

It just might turn out to be nothing, but if it is cellulitis, every hour of delay in getting treatment, especially around your eye and nose, is significant.

It is better to be safe than sorry...

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi Raven,

I was just thinking about you and wondering what the doctor thought about the swelling under your left eye.

Did it end up being cellulitis? I hope that it was something less serious and that, in any event, you are already feeling much better.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you in the future. Take care.

Dr. Rick MD FACS