Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had an eye exam today, and was given drops to dilate the

I had an eye exam today, and was given drops to dilate the pupils. One eye is still dilated after 10+ hours, and vision is blurry. Is this common or should I be concerned? (I will say that the assistant who did the drops put 2 in that eye because I thought she missed the first time)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

hello?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The duration of dilation of pupil would depend on what dilating eye drops were put.

Customer:

one eye is fine, the other is still dilated....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Most often tropicamide eye drops are used and pupillary dilation would last anywhere from 6-10 hours with this.

Customer:

would the fact that assistant put two drops in the affected eye have any affect?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How much of a difference is there between the two eyes? Is it still grossly dilated in one eye, say 8 mm?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No putting two drops would not have any additional effect.

Customer:

one pupil is definitely bigger than the other and my vision is unclear in that eye, which is usually clearer than the other

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there is a difference of 1-2 mm between the two pupils then I would not be very concerned. Yes, the vision will remain blurred till the effect of the dilating drops is completely worn out.

Customer:

sorry, can't really measure the pupils! could it be "stuck" and if so is there a way to relax it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I don't think you need to be very concerned at the moment as far as the pupil size is concerned. You can wait far a day for it to be back to its original size ( which usually does in almost all the cases).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

for

Customer:

ok then. thank you for your time....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you mentioned that the vision in that eye was better before dilation, I am sure there is absolutely no problem with the pupil in that eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a matter of time before the effect of the eye drops wears out.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once the pupil is back to its size the vision will also get restored.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that answer your question?

Customer:

yes, thank you....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince