Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 300 pound, 39 year old white female. I began exercising two weeks ago after many y

I am a 300 pound, 39 year old white female. I began exercising two weeks ago after many years of limted activity- I am working with a personal trainer. After third exercise session, I developed a horrible headache. I have attempted to drink more water since that time- but each exercise session since I develop a headache. This past headache has now lasted a few days (some fluctuation in intensity) and has some neck stiffness, and right arm pain.
I am not sure how concerned to be since I don't know what is exercise induced, if that is problematic, what might be a sinus infection issue, what might be dehydration, a pinched nerve, or what might be more? My headach is consitently above the eyes, around the eyes and below the eyes. It also migrates to the temples and across the back of my head (when really bad) and around the right ear. I also feel some facial tingling and numbness aroun the nose area to the ears. (I wear glasses and my skin just feels senistive the past few days.)???
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How tall are you?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other symptoms, such as slurred speech, weakness of the extremities etc?

Customer:

I am 5'5"

Customer:

no other major medical problems- though I did start my exercise program (i clearly needed to) after my first bout of diverticulits a few months ago. But it was low complication and no further issues.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thank your for that extra information.

Customer:

My right arm feels week- but I imagine it is from increased exercise- the muscles are a bit sore.

Dr. Rick :

Well, let me first discuss the thing you are thinking about :)

Dr. Rick :

It is very unlikely that what you are experiencing is due to a brain tumor or a vascular problem that is on the verge of rupturing and turning you into a tomato....

Customer:

good to know...that is what I was thinking

Dr. Rick :

Don't feel bad....everyone worries about the exact same thing :)

Dr. Rick :

It is most likely a migraine or stress headache given how it seems to come on with the exercise you are doing as you are not used to this sort of activity yet....

Dr. Rick :

Do I think you need a MRI of your head and a complete neurovascular workup?

Dr. Rick :

If you fall dead tomorrow, my answer will be yes lol!

Dr. Rick :

But, at this moment, from what you have posted? No. I don't

Dr. Rick :

I would just continue your workout plan, stay well hydrated and give it time.

Customer:

how long would one typically expect this to last until exercise doesn't trigger this?

Dr. Rick :

If the symptoms continue for a few more weeks, they get worse, or you are just worried, a visit to your primary care MD would not be out of line...

Customer:

Ok- thank you.

Dr. Rick :

As a person who has suffered with migraines for over 30 years, it may last until you stop exercising :(

Dr. Rick :

If that is the case, there are medications and therapies that can control and even stop the headaches, so all is not lost.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

And the numbness of the face is associated with migrianes? my husband has horrible migraines- but the numbness is something he has never had- which is what increases my curiosity/concern.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I've had that happen, as well as dilated pupils, nausea, change is attitude (my wife says I get "touchy and cranky")

Customer:

It all makes sense. Thanks you.

Dr. Rick :

Also, many things can cause mild facial tingling and mild numbness...but when you are worried it is a brain tumor, you pay more attention to the slightest change...

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.