Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was talking to Dr. Rick and seemed to have lost him.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Oops. Let's try this again. Here is what I posted on the other thread:

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

2:21 PM
How long have you been noting this floater?
2:21 PM
Is always in the same eye?
2:21 PM
Are you available to chat?

Have you noticed any flashes of light?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer:

I have had the floater about 7 months. It is always in the same eye and seems to happen when I am in flourscent lighting. I was diagnosed with a nevus in Dec of 2011. I go every 6 months for a check up and was there in Feb and was told there had been no change.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thank you for that extra information.

Dr. Rick :

To answer your question directly: Yes. It sure can. And this is noting to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Let me give you a bit of information about floaters:

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Here is a video of the actual surgery to remove floaters:

http://www.retinavitreous.com/video%20files/intro_floaters.html

Dr. Rick :

One other question. As a retina surgeon I am curious if your nevi is being followed by an ophthalmologist (eye MD) or an optometrist.....

Customer:

By a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Then you are in the best possible hands.....although some might say I am a bit biased on this issue ;-)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Yes, what are the chances of the nevi turning into melanoma. The specialist does I go to does not offer me much information. Sort of has me worried. So, the bright circle I am seeing is not related to the nevi?

Dr. Rick :

That is the million dollar question. At it depends on many features of the nevi such as pigmention, "yellow spots" on the surface, size, thickness, changes over time, color variations in the nevi, changes in color...etc.

Dr. Rick :

A recent study, however looked at exactly this issue and all things being equal the data showed that there is about a 1 in 8,000 chance of your nevi morphing into an ocular melanoma.

Dr. Rick :

After twenty years in a busy referral-based private practice in a rural area I have seen somewhere around 7 or 8 ocular melanomas in my career....and I've examined many thousands of nevi.

Dr. Rick :

Does this help?

Customer:

Yes, I guess I am sort of worry wart. But, it is my eyesight. So, the bright circles that appear in my eye is not related to the nevi, and it nothing to worry about? Sorry for being a pest. I will gladly pay more to all of your time.

Dr. Rick :

You are not a pest. :)

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. What you are experiencing I would not expect to be related in anyway to your nevi. Do not go and max out your credit cards at this point -- you'll probably live to pay them off lol!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this helps you to be less concerned. Sorry your retina doc does'

Dr. Rick :

n't spend the time needed to let you know what is going on...

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you this evening?

Customer:

No, Dr. Rick. You have put my mind at ease and I truly appreciate your help. I will have a much better weekend. I hope you have a great weekend and again thank you soooo much.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure :)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thank you :)