Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Doctor just told my mother that she cant have plastic surgery

Doctor just told my mother that she can't have plastic surgery ( face lift) because of glaucoma. He didn't explain why? I need some input
Thanks
Joka
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Could you tell me a little bit more about your mothers glaucoma?

How long has she had it?

What drops does she use?

Has she had surgery for her glaucoma? If so, do you know what type?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Are you available to chat?

Here is what I typed a moment ago in case it didn't come through:

How long has she had it?

What drops does she use?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mick,

I see you have reviewed my questions above. Would you still like to continue working on your post?

Let me know....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

My mother 2 months ago was using brimonidine 02% and timolol 05%

now she is using Travatan 2 - 2 months already only at night

one mont ago she had surgery on right eye to stop glaucoma ( laser) and next month she is going to have on left eye same surgery.

She has glaucoma 2 and half years and is very slow glaucoma.

Thanks

Joka

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Joka,

From what you have posted, her glaucoma therapy and laser surgery should not cause any problems what-so-ever with facial plastic surgery.

From an eye point of view a face lift should be just fine and would be expected to not impact her glaucoma at all.

I am at a loss to understand the face lift surgeons concerns....

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

She thinks because of anestesia is some problem . I am going to call her and she can explain me more. I will be back in few minutes

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mick,

Even anesthesia will not be a problem...I've had a lot of glaucoma patients undergo all types of anesthesia safely.

Let me know what your mom says...but I think things will be OK

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for good news she will be so hapy

She is not answeing and soon I got in touch with her I will be back

Thank you

Joka

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

If she has any further questions just post them to this thread and I will get right back to you.

As a "frequent flier" you know how much fun the excellent feedback button is to push.

Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

I just talk to her and she is so hapy. Surgeon said to her that she should have first eye surgery and than when pressure in the eye is normal without eye drops she should have plastic surgery and if she not do like this she can become blind. If this is true?

Thanks

Joka

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mick,

While it is true that eye pressure that is higher then the optic nerve can stand will, over a period of time (how long depends on lots of factors) lead to blindness, I do not know how having a face life would impact this at all.

Also, just because he has laser treatment for her glaucoma doesn't mean her eye pressure will be normal without drops...as a matter of fact this only occurs in a small number of glaucoma patients after this type of surgery. It doesn't make sense that she should have to wait to have a face lift as long as her eye pressure is not too high at this point.

Also, since the doctor is planning on doing laser surgery to control her eye pressure (ALT,SLT,LPI) I would not think that you mothers eye pressure is that much out of control. If it were the case I would think the doctor would do a trabeculoplasty in the operating room instead.

From all the things you have told me here today I can not see how having a face lift will cause any problems with her eyes or her glaucoma at all...

Does this make sense to you?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answer we are very satisfied. Also that plastic surgeon told her that she has to have written document from her opthamologist that she can have surgery? Is this is also true or not

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mick,

I can understand the plastic surgeon wanting clearance from your mothers ophthalmologist. He realizes that he knows nothing about the eye so he wants an expert on this issue to "sign off" on it. This sort of thing, while it makes for good medical care is also driven by the need to guard against malpractice lawyers that hover about.....

Give your mother my best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her another question is can she do liposuction?

Thanks

Joka

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mick,

If it is not on her head, sure.....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD