Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Hello, my 2 year old nephew has teary eyes. He is always tearing

Hello, my 2 year old nephew has teary eyes. He is always tearing non stop. There is no puffiness or swelling and or any other type of allergy signal. What can be causing this problem? How do we treat it? According to my sister he has had this problem since he was born but as he grows older, it seems to be developing. Please help!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the watering from eyes has been noticed since birth, it looks like your nephew has congenital dacryocystitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Normally the tears flow from the eyes into the lacrimal sac and via the nasolacrimal duct(NLD) enter into the nose.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In some children there is a delay in the canalisation of the NLD thus resulting in a blocked duct which in turn results in watering from eyes.

Customer:

is that something that can be repaired?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is fairly common in newborn ( as the NLD canalises in the 9th month ) but gets rectified in most of the babies.

Customer:

is it normal for both eyes to be experiencing this?

Customer:

what is the NLD??

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Upto 1 year only lacrimal massage is sufficient to open the passage. But beyond that massage does not help much. In such children a minor procedure is done called as lacrimal probing. NLD is the nasolacrimal duct( explained earlier).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes it can affect both eyes together.

Customer:

i've heard many things about a procedure involving a tube going down his duct but nothing from a professional,, how would this work and what are the chances of it repairing the problem completely?

Customer:

are there chances of the procedure going wrong? I'm very nervous as you can see

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can consult a pediatric ophthalmologist for the treatment as they are specilised in these procedures. In lacrimal probing, which is done under short general anesthesia in the eye operation theatre, a very thin probe is gently passed into the lacrimal passage in order to open the duct.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Usually this procedure takes care of the problem. Only in few cases it might require a repeat probing, in case the block persists.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a safe procedure and unlikely to go wrong in the hands of specialists such as pediatric ophthalmologists.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that answer your question?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you in this regard?

Customer:

yes it does,, for the moment,,

Customer:

thank you so much,,,

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Do not worry, your nephew should do well with the procedure. Take care.

Customer:

how long can i still chat with you in case i need to ask you something else a different day, i need to get all the information from my sister in order to ask the right questions

Dr. A.S. Desai :

We can continue to communicate through the Q&A mode where in all this information would get saved.

Customer:

ok,, thank you so much

Customer:

have a blessed evening

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once the chat ends , we automatically get into the Q&A mode. Have a good evening and a great weekend.

Customer:

likewise

Customer:

thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.