Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had sudden blurry and cloudy vision in my left eye.

I have had sudden blurry and cloudy vision in my left eye. There is a little pressure there in the eye area but no headaches. My GP just looked at it and has scheduled a follow-up with an opthamologist for a day. Also scheduled an MRI for precaution. MY GP did not see anything noticeable. But needless to say I am very worried and stressed. What can this be?!!
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

GPs love to do MRIs but I would not have it done until after you see the ophthalmologist tomorrow and see what she says.....

How long ago did this blurry vision start?

Is it both near and close vision?

Can you see the TV across the room? Read a book?

Is your entire visual field blurry or just the center?

Do you have any medical problem or take any medications?

Do you were contacts?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It began two days ago.

Yes, near and close vision are affected.

I can see both a book and the TV but they are blurry and definitely darker than normal. Kinda like a fog in that one eye.

No medications. I do have slightly elevated blood pressure. No headaches and 20/20 vision up until two days ago in both eyes.

Ok. Well, an MRI is not needed at this point.

There are a large number of things that could be causing this loss in vision. You may have a problem with your cornea (for lots of reasons), inflammation inside your eye (unlikely from what you have posted), bleeding inside your eye (vitreous hemorrhage), retinal problems (inflammation, bleeding, detachment etc), optic nerve problems (inflammation, loss of blood supply, etc)

So. As you can see, what you need the very most is a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist) ASAP.

Make you sure do not miss your appointment tomorrow (hopefully morning)

So. What is the take home message? Do not panic. I know. Easier said then done.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I was just thinking about you today and wondering what the ophthalmologist found when you were examined on Friday. I hope that is something that was easily fixed and your vision is already back to normal.

Take care and let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.