Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have an elongated lump running along the edge of the eye

Customer Question

I have an elongated lump running along the edge of the eye socket bone. It starts about a finger width out from the corner of the eye and runs up the bone towards the brow. It is hard, does not move. The other side is normal without lump, just smooth.

I just noticed it about 2 weeks ago when putting on moisturizer and i've never felt it there before. There is no pain but I do feel a "heavy-ness" in that area.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Welcome to

The site of the lump is an unlikely one for any of the ocular conditions to manifest. Its consistency , duration and painless nature makes it more likely to be either a fibroma/ fibrolipoma. These are benign lesions made up of fibrous tissue with or without fat. Though these are very gradual in onset ( must have slowly occured before two weeks but got noticed only now due its size). Ofcourse there could be other possibilities too such as a sebaceous cyst, but only a close thorough exam would help to make a confirmative diagnosis. A few investigations such as CT scan or fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAC) might be needed if the diagnosis is in doubt. These investigations would be confirmative. It would be better to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist who can give further reference to oculoplasty/ orbit specialist , if need be.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist