Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

A muscle right under my left eyelid has been twitching for

A muscle right under my left eyelid has been twitching for a few days now. It's really bothersome. I'm under more stress than usual and I work in front of a computer at work. Plus I have been doing some computer work after hours at home and I have an iPhone I use frequently. Basically, I'm in front of a computer screen a lot. What should I do? Is this something that goes away? Or do I need to take a break from the screens? The stress is obviously something I need to take care of myself.
Good Evening. I am online and available to help you today.
Good news....Everything will be fine. Let me tell you a little bit about what is going on with your eyelid:
The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.
Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.
The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.
Here is an excellent article on this topic:
You can continue to use the computer screen as much as you want as it won't make this worse.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS