Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Ive been finding lately that my vision isnt focused. Im

I've been finding lately that my vision isn't focused. I'm in college, and I always sit at the front of the class. About a week and a half ago, I noticed that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't focus on the notes on the board. I started wearing my glasses, which before I was only using for driving, and it hasn't gotten any better. I'm now noticing that my focus is going when doing other things, like watching movies or working. I've been getting headaches the past few days to the point where I'm constantly taking tylonol and it isn't relieving anything
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. How old are your glasses?
Customer: They're about six months old
Doctor DanB : How many hours/day are you either reading or on the computer?
Customer: I average about ten a day because of schoolwork
Doctor DanB : Can you try a little exercise for me? Can you take a pen or pencil in your hand, hold it at arms length away from your nose, and then slowly bring it towards your nose, maintaining fixation on the tip of it at all times--try to keep it clear and single in image. At the point that you lose focus on the tip or it turns double, please stop and then let me know approximately how close that point is to the bridge of your nose.
Customer: It's about seven or eight inches away
Doctor DanB : How long have you been in glasses? I presume you are nearsighted? How strong is your prescription?
Customer: I am nearsighted. I've had glasses for about ten years. I'm not sure the exact prescription, I think it was about 40-60 when I had my exam six months ago
Doctor DanB : Does 4.00 to 6.00 sound more familiar? That would make more sense to me.
Customer: Yeah, that does
Doctor DanB :

Okay, I think there are a couple of possibilities that could represent why you're having these symptoms. I think the first, and most likely, is that you are experiencing an accommodative spasm. When we do a significant amount of near-work or focusing at near targets such a textbook, electronics, or a computer screen, the muscles that focus the lens inside the eye to allow for that clear vision have to work overtime. In someone such as yourself that is doing near activities for double-digit hours in a day, it can cause these accommodative muscles to spasm and lead to blurry vision up close and far away, even in the glasses, as well as headaches. I think this is the most likely cause with you. However, both the only way to know this for sure, and also to treat it, is to see your ophthalmologist to get a dilated eye exam. At this visit, other causes (such as the second thing I think this may be) can be ruled out as causing these symptoms, and the dilation of the pupils usually succeeds in breaking this accommodative spasm and the patient does much better after this. The other thing this may be is...

Doctor DanB :

It's possible that your eyes have changed shape enough over the past six months that your glasses prescription is no different enough that your vision is not corrected adequately and therefore you're struggling. Again, though, a visit to your ophthalmologist will help determine whether this is the case, or whether you are having an accommodative spasm. While it seems to be a pain in the rumpus on the surface, I think your best bet here is to see the ophthalmologist. Does all this make sense?

Customer: Yes, that makes sense. Thanks
Doctor DanB :

My pleasure.Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer: Nope, that's it
Doctor DanB :

Okay. Good luck!

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry--I see you rated me as giving poor service. Is there a reason you rated me like this? Do you have any other questions that I can help you with? Any clarifications?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology