Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i got hit by forehead to forhead in a soccer game and it made

Customer Question

i got hit by forehead to forhead in a soccer game and it made a quarter sized bump
it's now the size of about a nickel or less...(i iced immed) and have been icing..it's now draining mostly on one side of the eye and nose bridge and now the order nose side, when is it safe to play again?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long ago was your injury?

Was your vision affected?

Other then the bump forming, did you have any other symptoms at the time of the injury?

Were you evaluated for a possible concussion or was the injury not that severe?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this was this past sat so 4 days ago aprox 11:30 am, no vision affected by injury didn't go to bed till 10;30p that night. also, i took myself out and did the ice immed and to see if i was indeed ok. no other symtoms i.e. nasuea, vomitting etc. i've also been icing off and on and monitoring my pupils, all seems good...the drainage is dark along the eye as the bump is on the eyebrow (no skin was broken), and this morning it's draining (yellow) on the right side of the nose bridge.i was not evalu and no med prob and i don't take meds, just a vitamin. also, i took ibupro but stopped that and took a few tylenol a few days ago...it's tender and itchy not too bad though.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lisa,

It sounds like what is draining out is serous fluid from the blood that collected under the skin when you bumped heads. Make sure that it does not look infected to you and keep it clean with soap and water.

If you are feeling OK I think you can go back on the field tomorrow without problem :)

Use your own judgment though and take it a bit easier if you feel the need. At this point you know your body well enough to make that decision.

Now. Go out there and WIN! ;-)

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok on the left hand side where the bump still remains is where the blood is draning to (think black eye : ) sooo last ? is can i message the tender small bump that remains or is it best to let it naturally go down? what about if i play this weekend and it gets bumped again? blood clots bad as they are i don't want anywhere let alone my forehead....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lisa,

A blood clot under the skin, and in front of the bone of your head, is not dangerous...so no worries there.

I'd just leave it alone.

This weekend just avoid smacking heads again....maybe don't head any balls. I think you will be fine.

Of course if you don't play well, you can't blame it on me, k? ;)

Go have fun. BTW, there is still a foot of snow on MY front lawn :(

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

haha 10/4...well we got 4th place but that was with the 9 girls left! ok...thanks. i'll play one game..im in texas it's anything but snowy lol...thank you for your help and pledge to help people's lives...

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lisa,

The pleasure is all mine.

I have relatives in San Marcos, Tx. Nice State but a little bit hot...and dry lately...for my tastes.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Enjoy the game.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

awesome...yes it's hot... i'm in corpus, very hot! i appreciate all of your help! :) oh i will...love the sport! :) thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Been there, done the Aircraft Carrier and got the T shirt.

Nice beaches.

Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to bug you but i was wondering how long is this bump suppose to be there? i think this sat will be 3 weeks and it's about a nickel size.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lisa,

I've seen them take up to 6 months to go down :(