Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

my eyelid is twitching but it seems to be folding or pullin

my eyelid is twitching but it seems to be folding or pullin up when it spasms.

It happens every few minutes and it is going on for over two weeks.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question.Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

What you are experiencing sounds like what is called myokymia. This is usually noticed by the patient as a repeated twitching, pulsating, or quivering of the eye or eyelid muscle. Many different things can cause this twitching such as irritations to the eye such as wind, smog, dust, and sunlight, but even some noises and moving the eyes and/or head can bring it on. They tend to turn into more of a spasm over time that the person usually doesn’t have much control over.

It can commonly be associated with eye problems including eye pain, tearing, irritation and sensitivity to light. Many people find sleep relieves their spasming to some extent, but also using artificial tears can help sometimes as well as pulling on the eyelids.

A specific cause for myokymia has not been demonstrated for every case; it is thought to be a neurologic disorder that has a multifactorial etiology.

For most people, this resolves spontaneously in several days, but it's not unheard of for some cases to last 4-6 weeks. If it persists longer than 4 weeks, I would recommend seeing your eye doctor for this.

Doctor DanB :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Not really. It is not the normal quiver or pulsating that I have experienced in the past with an eye spasm. It is totally different. It is a pulling up of my eyelid which gives me a little bit of a blur to my eye for a split second or two.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any medical problems such as thyroid problems or any neurological problems?

Customer:

Many problems but nothing neurological except benign vertigo.

Doctor DanB :

What other problems amongst the many?

Customer:

Clinical depression (many years) but controlled with meds.

Customer:

High cholesterol controlled with meds.

Customer:

Reflux controlled with meds

Customer:

High insulin / metabolic disorder, controlled with meds.

Customer:

Insomnia

Doctor DanB :

Do you experience any other facial muscle abnormalities, such as involuntary blinking, grimacing, or facial contortions?

Customer:

No, thank G-d.

Doctor DanB :

What kind of medicines do you take?

Customer:

Effexor, topomax, metformin, dexilant, victoza, substitute for lipitor, chelated magnisium and meletonin

Doctor DanB :

There's a couple of things I suspect this could be: the first and most likely is a variant of the normal eyelid twitching that most people experience at one time or another, but this episode is affecting a different muscle, the muscle that lifts the eyelid, versus the muscle that squeezes and closes the eyelid. The second, is that there is a spasming happening in the eyelid muscle due to a neurological condition, such as blepharospasm, causing retraction of the eyelid. Unfortunately, the only way to tease these out would be to have an exam by an ophthalmologist, like myself (but unfortunately that's difficult for me to do on-line). What questions do you have about this?

Customer:

How long can this last? And what can I do in the mean time. I live in New York but am in Miami now? Can I drive safely while this is going on?

Doctor DanB :

As long as you feel safe driving with this, I see no problem doing so. After all, you do have your other eye to rely on during that split second or two. It's difficult to know exactly how long this is going to last unless we know what it is. However, if it is a variant of the normal eyelid myokymia, then it may resolve spontaneously any day now. However, it's likely going to be a good thing to use the artificial tears 3-4x/day in that eye for the next week or so to encourage it resolve, if it is. Does that make sense?

Customer:

I will try it. I have been patient but it is starting to become very annoying.

Doctor DanB :

I can certainly understand that. Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

I believe that the frequency of the tick has increased over time

Doctor DanB :

That's not an uncommon observation to see with this eyelid myokymia--but if it were to persist over the next couple of weeks, continuing to increase in frequency, that would be another reason to make sure you have an exam by the ophthalmologist.

Customer:

Ok, thank you so much. I appreciate your input. It is hard for a woman who is a mother, grandmother and care giver to take the time out to take care of herself. I probably would have just kept going without checking it out. I appreciate the suggestion and will try the drops. If it doesn't work I will definitely make an appointment.

Doctor DanB :

Being married to an amazing woman who does the work of three, I can certainly understand putting yourself on the back burner. Good luck and I hope this clears soon!

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

I understand and do appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology