Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I wear glasses for nearsightedness. Lately, especially today,

I wear glasses for nearsightedness. Lately, especially today, I am having to take off my glasses to work at my desk or on my computer because it is blurry with my glasses on.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. I assume you don't have bifocals in these glasses? How old are these glasses? How nearsighted?
Customer:

Less than a year old

Doctor DanB : Is your prescription mild or a lot of nearsightedness?
Customer:

I had not laser surgery but the one before that years ago and in the last 5 years have had to start wearing glasses again. I am diabetic also. Not that nearsighted, but don't know the number. I can see letters across the room but they are a little fuzzy. However, lately my sight seems to be jumping all over the place. Mild nearsightedness. I can now read the computer without the glasses but a little fuzzy

Doctor DanB : Are you still there?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : When did you last see your eye doctor for your diabetic eye exam? How are your sugars doing lately?
Customer:

my sugars jumped really high for about a month but are back under control

Customer:

Within the last year on the exam.

Doctor DanB : How high? 400s-500s?
Customer:

No I have never been that high. Highest 2 times was above 300

Doctor DanB : This is likely a combination of presbyopia (need for reading glasses after the age of 40-45) and your sugars going high for the past month. After your sugars are under control for 8-10 consecutive weeks I would expect most of these fluctuations to level out though you may still find that the presbyopia onset means that you may notice more of the reading without glasses. Make sense?
Customer:

Yes, it does. That is what I was figuring. Does the presbyopia even out?

Customer:

It is the bouncing that is driving me crazy, lol

Doctor DanB : It unfortunately gets steadily worse until about age 65
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

No, that is it. Thank you