Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 55 year old male in good health and a long time soft

I am a 55 year old male in good health and a long time soft contact lens wearer. My left eye became red and goopy (mostly clear liquid) about a week ago. So I stopped wearing my contacts and went into see my eye doctor. He examined my eye and said he could see 'staph infiltrates' on the cornea so I have a staph infection and was lucky I went in to get it checked. He prescribed Maxitrol and my pharmacy gave me neomycin which I assume is the generic version. The eye doctor instructed me to use the drops 4 times per day and that it should be better in 3-4 days but asked me to use the drops for 10 days which sounds normal for antibiotics . It's now been 5 days and my eye is still goopy although it is less red. Is Neomycin the right med for staph infections of the eye? What should I do now?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Were you examined by a optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

ophthalmologist

Customer:

Unfortunately I am not very confident in this doctor who is in a large practice because of a prescription mistake he made a while back

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I have to tell you that I would not pick that eye drop for a corneal ulcer.

Dr. Rick :

And, after 20 years of clinical practice I sure can't look at a corneal ulcer and call it staph....

Customer:

He said I do not have a corneal ulcer but could see staph infiltrates that could lead to an ulcer

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like BS To me.

Dr. Rick :

If you are going to use an antibiotic drop I suggest Ocuflox, at least 4x/day for 10 days.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry to be so blunt :(

Customer:

which part is BS? The diagnosis?

Dr. Rick :

the statement that you have staph infiltrates that he could see but, yet, you do not have a corneal ulcer.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, maxitrol has neomycin, polymyxin B and dexamethasone in it....it would not be the same as neomycin generic

Dr. Rick :

To me it sounds like you are not being treated very well at all.

Dr. Rick :

And I can count on one hand the number of times I have made that statement concerning another ophthalmologist in my lifetime....

Customer:

The generic eye drops have the ingredients you listed. What is the right thing for me to do? I am actually out of town so I can't go back for several days to see this doctor.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, since you have not improved it is time to switch to a different medicine. If you are in a town that has ophthalmologists I would get in for another opinion. The doctor you have seen did not do you any favors.

Customer:

Also, if indeed you can't 'see' staph infiltrates, how important is my diagnosis?

Dr. Rick :

I think the most important thing at this moment is to get a proper diagnosis. If it is a corneal infection you need to be on a better medicine....Ocuflox is very effective for almost every bug out there that attacks the cornea

Dr. Rick :

Without a proper diagnosis you can't get the right treatment.

Customer:

ok I will get a second opinion. But can you diagnose a staph infection in the eye in the absence of an ulcer?

Dr. Rick :

If I am wrong about being able to see staph infiltrates at the slit lamp, proven by culture, I will gladly eat my tonopen. As a matter of fact, next time I see my cornea colleague I will ask him if he has ever been able to diagnose such a thing by looking.

Customer:

ok, thanks. Anything else?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. You can culture it. But that is not really needed. If there is an infection you use a broad spectrum antibiotic to kill it. Not a steroid mix like maxitrol.

Dr. Rick :

I hope you feel better soon. Sorry to be so rough on your eye doc :(

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest