Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have now had 3 or 4 repeated episodes over the past month

I have now had 3 or 4 repeated episodes over the past month (occurs almost once per week ) where only my right eye becomes bloodshot. It is in the same position in the eye, the inside portion. The appearance is both overall and cracked line-like. No discomfort, no discharge, no history of allergies. I am a 62 year old male, 152 lbs, 5'6" and except for mild hypertension (now taking Bennical HCT) no health issues. This has never happened before, my eye doc has examined my eyes and confirms that it's a hemorrhage and not something like herpes. He has ordered a blood test for clotting disorder. Waiting on these results at the moment. Is there something else we are missing that could be causing this. Also, I am not taking any regular daily doses of vitamins like D, E etc. Was not taking aspirin nor any other pain meds prior to this.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have you seen my description of the eye problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Bob,

From what you have posted, your ophthalmologist is doing the right thing.

Many times when confronted with a patient like you I work together with a primary care doctor looking for issues that can cause frequent subconjunctival hemorrhages such as diabetes, uncontrolled high blood pressure, problems with the blood vessels themselves or various bleeding problems.

In my experience, even with an extensive workup, no systemic cause is found and the episodes are chalked up to "stuff happens".

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

It sounds to me like you are getting excellent care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only one more question...given the info I've provided to you, and your past experience, what is probability that these events just stop at some point? Assuming no diabetes, or other bleeding maladies, what percentage of your patients find that the events simply stop after some period of time...or do you find that once started most patients seem to experience these continuously in the future?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Bob,

That is a very good question. Many times these hemorrhages stop just as suddenly as they began. I wish I could tell you the reason...but that is why I've only been "practicing" ophthalmology for the last 20+ years ;-)

While all bleeding stops eventually, in all this time I can only think of two patient who had frequent subconjunctival hemorrhages (with a negative systemic workup) in my practice. And for them, no treatment/surgery was considered or necessary.

I think you are, in the long run, going to be just fine. Your only problem is going to be coming up with new stories of how bad the "other guy" looks lol!

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest