Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had cataract surgery on one eye in May 2012. I have painful

Customer Question

I had cataract surgery on one eye in May 2012. I have painful headaches and eye pressure. I was diagnosis with borderline glaucoma a few days ago. What is the treatment for borderline glaucoma? Do I need a CT brain scan to see what's causing my head to hurt so bad? what kind of doctor should I see?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Borderline glaucoma is very unlikely to be the cause for the headache or eye pressure. Primary open angle glaucoma(POAG) is a painless condition and is most often diagnosed on routine eye exam.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The eye is surrounded on all sides by four sinuses and sinusitis is often associated with pain behind the eye along with headache.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the most common causes for such painful headache with eye pressure is sinusitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the glaucoma was found to be borderline, I guess the ophthalmologist would want to go ahead with some more eye tests for confirmation such as visual fields, optic nerve head evaluation,gonioscopy, intraocular pressure.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The other possibility for chronic headache is common migraine/tension headache. The most common triggering factor is stress.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest that you consult your primary care physician initially for investigation of the cause of headache. You can get a follow up appointment with the ophthalmologist and insisit for visual field, IOP measurement, optic nerve head evaluation and gonioscopy.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the exact cause of headache is in doubt, then a CT/ MRI scan brain/sinuses would definitely help. This investigation can be asked by your physician.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any more questions to ask?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I don't see you in the chat at present. In that case I will exit from the chat for the moment. But I will be available for further communication in the Q&A mode.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

JACUSTOMER-w252f9gl- :

I had a CT scan for sinusitis. I've taken three prescriptions of antibodies.

Hello Annette,

Please let me know if you have any more queries in this regard.
Thank you for the reply and additional information.

If the CT scan of the sinuses has revealed a normal sinus study and 3 courses of antibiotics have not given the desired relief, then it may not be sinusitis at all. Migraine is the other possibility in that case. However it is treated symptomatically with Tab.Acetaminophen, 650 mg , 1 tablet twice a day for a day or two. To prevent recurrent episodes, prophylactic medicines are tried such as Tab.Propranolol/ Flunarizine.If this treatment also does not give much relief then it is better to consult a neurologist for further examination.