Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

how serious is a posteral nose bleed, my mother has nose bleed

how serious is a posteral nose bleed, my mother has nose bleed in throat all night, we did get it stop this not the first time it happen.r

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

That is an excellent question and the answer depends on a number of things:

How much did blood did she loose?

What is causing these recurrent bleeds?

Does she have any medical problems that can be contributing to her bleeding?

Is she taking any medication that is causing the bleeding?

Of course, the only way to know many of these answers is to have a complete examination by an ENT specialist. He may want to put an instrument down her nose so he can directly visualize the anatomy and see any abnormalities, such as a cancer, that might be present.

So. What is the take home message? From what you have posted your mother needs a complete examination by an ENT specialist, preferably before she bleeds again.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She bleed from 1 am until 5 am with some vomiting, because the blood running down the back of her throat. She does take a baby asprin daily and she has high blood pressure it was check this morning at work which was 138 that is good range. I guess my question is does she need an er or ent doctor.

If she were my mother I would try to get her into an ENT doctor, today if possible.

That is a lot of bleeding. Since it has stopped an ENT surgeon would be more useful then a trip to the ER.

Does that make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

I hope your mother feels better soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I basically did not no if the ent would send her er. I guess you can say it about the money paying 50 ent or 100 for er

I do not believe that an ENT doctor would send her to the ER. If there were any sort of emergency, he would talk care of it himself, even if he had to admit her to the hospital.

I would take my mom to an ENT doctor today if I were in your place.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me.
Hi Hollie,

I was just thinking about your mother today and wondering what the ENT doctor found on Tuesday. I hope everything is fine and the source of her bleeding has been fixed.

Take care and let me know if I can be of any further service.