Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

After a 4 hour roller skating session (rather intense) I have

After a 4 hour roller skating session (rather intense) I have a number of symptoms. My (upper/lower) legs, feet, hips hurt and at times my back and neck. These I can easily explain from pushing myself on the rink. Two symptoms have my wondering. My right eye gets, what I can only describe as, a sun spot. Like staring at a bright light for too long. Enough to notice but not enough to completely block my vision. Also I some times get head aches (depends on how much my back/neck hurts usually). It all starts about 10-20 minutes after the exercise and goes away completely after 2-3 hours.

I've tried increasing my protein levels, food after the exercise, little bit of extra salt (as I'm practically fasting for 4 hours). Also a massage to the neck always helps with the headache, some times the vision. I'm also usually so exhausted after the ride home I'm immediately crashing, so I know I'm pushing myself.

What could be the cause for the eye sun spot? Is there something I might be lacking during the exercise or is it just a condition created from the strain on my muscles? or should I be looking for something else?
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS