Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Im 54 years old ,my eye lids are dry and itchie.

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to

It is likely that you have blepharitis. The treatment for this is in the form of a few simple remedies which you can do at home. Though these measures are are slow to show improvement, they are very effective.

1) Warm compresses to be given thrice a day. This helps to relieve swelling of the lid margins and also to liquefy any viscid secretions.

2) Gentle lid scrub with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo , to be applied to the outer lid margin with the help of a Q-tip. This would help to remove pent up secretions of the meibomian glands which are modified sebaceous glands in the lids.

3) Use of lubricating eye drops such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day.

These measures are slow to act and would take 3-4 weeks to show significant effect. In case you do not get much relief inspite of these measures then it is better to consult an ophthalmologist for further treatment( such as tobramycin + dexamethasone eye ointment, which is a prescription medicine).

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hi Harvey Feinman,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,