Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I AM HAVING AN EXTREME PAIN BEHIND MY LEFT EYE WHEN I USE THE

Customer Question

I AM HAVING AN EXTREME PAIN BEHIND MY LEFT EYE WHEN I USE THE TOILET. IT HAS BEEN GOING ON NOW FOR NINE DAYS. IT STARTED FIRST WITH BOWEL MOVEMENTS. IT IS NOT CAUSED BY STRAINING. THE INTENSE SPASM LASTS ABOUT FIFTEEN MINS. IT MAKES MY BODY BREAK OUT IN IN A SWEAT, AND I GET VERY DIZZY. I AM 64 YR. I HAVE MIGRAINES STARTING AT AGE16, BUT THIS IS NEW. THIS PAIN IS SO SEVERE IT MAKES ME SCREAM. THANKYOU. SANDY
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sandy,

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Does the pain occur at any other time?

Do you have to be straining for this to occur or does it come on when you are sitting on the toilet, relaxed, and pooping without any effort?

Is your vision affected when you have this pain?

Is the pain sharp, dull, pulse-like, deep etc?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THE PAIN ONLY OCCURS ON THE TOLIET AND POOPING WITHOUT EFFORT.WHEN IT FIRST STARTED IT WAS A SHARP PAIN. NOW THE PAIN IS SHARP PULSE-LIKE,AND MAKES ME SCREAM IN INTENSE PAIN. NOW I HAVE A MIGRAINE BEHIND THE SAME EYE.
I HAVE HEART DESEASE.DIABETES FIBROMAYLSA

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THE PAIN DOES NOT OCCUR AT ANY OTHER TIME. I AM TRYING TO RELAX.BUT NOWI AM AFRAID OF PAIN, MY EYE IS AFFECTED SINCE THE PAIN IS THERE,USE OF ICE HELPS,PAIN IS SHARP AT FIRST 10 MIN THENDEEP AND PULSE-LIKE. I NOW HAVE A TERRIBLE MIGRAINE

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sandy,

The most likely cause for your eye pain is a migraine, like you have already noted. As a person who has been suffering from ocular pain associated with migraines for almost 30 years I know what you are going though -- I've been there and done that :(

When I first reviewed your post another issues that I thought about was a vascular malformation in your orbit. While this is very rare, I believe it would be valuable for you to see an ophthalmologist for a full eye exam, especially since the pain is so severe.

If, as I believe will be the case, everything looks OK on your eye exam then the next step should be consulting with a neurologist who specializes in headaches.

There is no need for you to continue to suffer this much as there are many treatments available for severe migraines.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS