Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to help my constantly

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to help my constantly burning/watering eyes which were diagnosed (by 3 separate eye doctors) as a combination of meibomian gland disorder, mild blepharitis and ocular rosacea (I do or have done :lid scrubs, antibiotics, preservative-free drops, warm compresses, Omega-3 vitamins ,have had my meibomian glands expressed -which was $$-AND  anything else I can think of to get some relief..the only thing I haven't done is Restassis eye drops as they are hard for me to get here in Canada) I am still miserable every day (and wish I could wear eye make-up again) WHAT else can I try?

Welcome to

You have certainly tried almost all the measures which are normally advised for meibomiis and associated blepharitis and dy eyes. Restasis eye drops are advised for moderate to severe dry eyes as they help in increasing the tear production unlike other lubricating eyedrops whih merely supplement the tears. I would suggest hat you continue to use all he measures mentioned above as these are very effective thouh very slow to show results. Sometimes it will take 4 to 6 weeks to show even subtle improvement. Ocular rosacea is known to cause blepharitis and dry eyes. Simce meibomian glands are modified sebaceous glands, these get inflammed in ocular rosacea. Their ducts get blocked hus givin rise to meibomitis. These glands are also responsible for secreting the lipid layer of the tear film, which normally has 3 layers. Thus warm compresses help in liquefying the pent up secreions of the meibomian glands. The lid scrubs would help in easy flow of the meibomian gland secretions. The lubricating eye drops would help to replace the lost tears. In addiion to the above measures you can try using a lubricating eye ointment such as lacrilube , once at bedtime. For severe meibomitis and blepharitis, we can try giving a course of oral tab.Doxycycline, 100 mg, 1 tablet twice a day for 2 to 3 weeks. This is known to be effective for blepharitis/meibomitis.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes. It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
This doctor who replied was only okay..her answer included :endless typos, suggestions to try things i made very clear in my question i have ALREADY tried, and she also gave lots of explanations of what my problem is-when i also made clear I already have (3) doctors who diagnosed the problems--i was just looking for a new-and hopefully helpful-answer