Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After I have a glass of wine I will wake up in the morning

After I have a glass of wine I will wake up in the morning with a headache. I take an advil or 2 and it goes away. Several hours later I get another headache this time it only hurts on my left side, in my left eye and my neck. The pain only throbs when I move. Laying down alleviates the pain. I am 44 years old and normally do not suffer from any other headaches. I have no other symptoms. Everything I read on the internet points to either a migraine or a brain tumor! Please help!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Other then these headaches, do you have any other symptoms such as weakness, slow thinking, double vision, slurred speech etc?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medications?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick says:
5:51 PM
5:52 PM
5:52 PM
5:52 PM
Are you available to chat?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am available to chat ..

Welcome.

Let me retype my above questions for your review:

5:52 PM
5:52 PM
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I do not have weakness, slow thinking, double vision or slurred speach. No meds except for occasional Xanax and valerian (not at the same time)

First of all, let me give you the good news....

There is almost no chance at all that your symptoms are from a brain tumor.

I agree with your online search: It sounds like you are suffering from a migraine. As a migraine suffer myself for almost 30 years I can tell you that many things can bring on a migraine. In your case, it seems that the type of wine you were drinking is one of your triggers.

Does this mean that you need to give up all wine? No. As you know, there are many, many types of wine...I'd just give away any extra bottles of the stuff that brought on your headache.

If the migraines get worse, or if you have other symptoms it wouldn't hurt to consult with your primary care MD or, if you wanted, a neurologist.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS