Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Two days ago, I had a picture taken with my best friend at

Customer Question

Two days ago, I had a picture taken with my best friend at night outside a restaurant. My eyes pupils were white in the picture. I'm scared to death at what this may mean based what I've read online. Both my parents' vision required them to wear glasses when they were in their late 30's. I'm 45 and wear 'cheater readers.' Is there something I should be worried about or is this normal 'aging?'
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good news! You will be OK

Dr. Rick :

What you noticed is your optic nerve lining up directly with the camera, this is what gave you the white reflex in the picture

Dr. Rick :

It is also normal for you to need "cheaters" for reading at your age.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Good news! You will be OK
Dr. Rick : What you noticed is your optic nerve lining up directly with the camera, this is what gave you the white reflex in the picture
Dr. Rick : It is also normal for you to need "cheaters" for reading at your age.

So. What is the take home message? Don't worry. Everything is fine and there is no need, from what you have posted for you to rush to see your eye MD.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS