Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am 47, had lasik surgery back in Apr 2000 with no complications,

I am 47, had lasik surgery back in Apr 2000 with no complications, resulting in 20/20 rt eye and 20/15 left eye (from 20/375 each eye). My mom has glaucoma so I had my eyes checked about 20yrs ago before getting contact lenses and was told my pressure is at the higher end of normal.
I recently started using a sonic infuser to help decrease lines around my eyes. I just noticed that I have a small lump to my left upper inner eye with what feels like a rut below it. It is on my eye, not on the inside of my lid. I do not notice any vision change, red eye or excessive tearing and no pain but my eyeballs feel hard. But the hardness has been occuring for about 1 year. I did use the sonic infuser on my eyelids several times before realizing the directions advise not to do this because of how thin the skin is there. I am afraid I may have injured my eye using the sonic tool. Can you advise if, in your opinion, you believe this lump was caused by the sonic use or if it may be pressure related?
Also I was dx with stage 4 breast cancer met to bones, especially spine, but recent PET and bone scans show I am in remission. I am taking Femara, Klonopin, Xgeva, Zoloft and occasionally Xanax > .5mg
I will be scheduling an eye appt but need to know if this is an potential emergency or not. I realize there's alot going on here and probably very hard to dx without an exam but any help you can provide is appreciated.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I truly appreciate your courage in facing all the medical issues you have been through. As for the possibility of any eye damage due to use of the sonic infuser, I really doubt that. In fact we make use of ultrasound waves for diagnositc and treatment modalities in the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A painless lump on the eye ( not on the eyelid) could be due to a pinguecula ( a benign degenerative condition of the conjunctiva). However its location is more often between the inner corner of the eye and the junction of the white part of the eye and the colored part of the eye. The upper eyelid would feel firm normally also due to the presence of the tarsal plate ( a very firm tissue present in the upper eye lid). So I guess it does not appear to be any kind of an ocular emergency.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To confirm whether the firmness of the eyes is due to raised intraocular pressure (IOP) , it is better to get the IOP measured at the next visit to the ophthalmologist. Glaucoma however is not known to cause any kind of localised lump on the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question. Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could this be a side effect of any of my meds? This appears to have come on suddenly, it is between the inner corner of left eye and iris but closer to inner porton and very pronounced when raising eyebrow to feel entire lid, and looking down and to the left. The lump is a hard spot and running along side (vertically) is like a narrow valley about 5mm long.

My eyes feel irritated and I'm squinting along due to some burning but in both eyes. I am available to chat.

Hello Maureen,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

I am not aware of any medicine causing a lump in the eye as its side effect.

The lump could still be a pinguecula or pterygium or inflammatory nodule. Only a closure look would help to differentiate and diagnose. Ofcourse a few specific investigations might be required just in case there is a doubt of the lump being a secondary nodule on the sclera from the stage 4 breast carcinoma.

Does that make sense?

Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question. Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I just wasn't sure that breast cancer could spread to the eye but a quick Google search shows it can met to eye. I will set an appt with my opthamologist next week and hope for something other than met cancer. Thank you for your insight. Have a good weekend.