Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My 50 year old daughter had an eye stroke (anterior ischemic

My 50 year old daughter had an eye stroke (anterior ischemic optic neuropathy), which left her with clouded vision in an upper left sector of her left eye. She goes to the retina doctor every 1-2 months for an eye injection of Vastin to bring down the swelling and leakage of blood from her tortuous veins. My daughter smokes about 1/2 pack per day and I thought that could be hindering her recovery. Her retina doctor said that he has not seen anything in the literature that says that the smoking has anything to do with it and has not asked her to stop for here eye, although he admits that it would be good for her general health.

Can you tell me if the smoking can be hindering her recovery and whether her retina doctor has overly minimized the eye help she might get if she stopped smoking?
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am a retina doctor and, while there has been evidence that smoking makes the leaking blood vessels (choroidal neovascular membrane) and disease process worse in age related macular degeneration, this is not what your daughter has....even though she does have leaking blood vessels inside her eye.

After 20 years of clinical practice I have to agree with you and your daughters retina doctor: It probably is a good idea to stop smoking as it sure can't hurt to make things, in general, better.

That being said, there have just not been any clinical studies that have looked at tobacco use and proliferative neovascularization secondary to AION.

So what is the take home message here? I would like to add my voice to those already suggesting that your daughter give up smoking. Unfortunately, there are no good clinical studies available to back us up in this instance:(

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You were clear, concise and extremely helpful! Thank you.

My pleasure. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in the future.

Have a good weekend.