Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Sore throat, runny nose, mild headaches (those throbbing ones),

Sore throat, runny nose, mild headaches (those throbbing ones), itchy eyes, and fatigue + some muscle cramps (in the legs). No fever, coughing, or body aches. I have a newborn child at home. Don't want to spread the virus. What do I have? I don't feel sick enough to go see my doctor but I worry that my child could get sick. I wear mask as often as possible and wash my hands constantly. FYI, got my flu vaccine 5 months ago and take hygiene very seriously. Plz let me know. Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have the flu....

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, this years flu vaccine was not that great....they missed the most common flu bug in the formula. I get the flu shot every year (our hospital gives it out free to all the medical staff) and, for the first time in years, I got the flu really bad -- so bad that I had to cancel surgery and close my office for 3 days :(

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are doing everything possible to keep your baby from getting the flu. I would just continue with what you are doing and let the bug run its course.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : It sounds like you have the flu....
Dr. Rick : Unfortunately, this years flu vaccine was not that great....they missed the most common flu bug in the formula. I get the flu shot every year (our hospital gives it out free to all the medical staff) and, for the first time in years, I got the flu really bad -- so bad that I had to cancel surgery and close my office for 3 days :(
Dr. Rick : It sounds like you are doing everything possible to keep your baby from getting the flu. I would just continue with what you are doing and let the bug run its course.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
Dr. Rick :

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I doubt it is the flu. Onset took time and symptoms are quite mild. I don't get how you are drawing that conclusion.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
You didn't give any information concerning the time of onset and, from what you posted, given the time of the year etc, flu seems most likely.

It is harder to make a "spot-on" diagnosis when my entire medical tool kit consists of chatting over the internet. Had we met in person it is likely that my conclusions might have been different. :)

That being said, being a father of 5 myself with two new grandchildren since November -- with one of them currently in the hospital with RSV infection, I hope your child remains symptom free.

In any event I think what you are suffering from, if not the actual flu, is viral in nature. As such no medical therapy is indicated.

If you remain concerned then I'd suggest you see your doctor today, before everything but the ERs close up for the weekend.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest