Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

The Calhoun LAL seems to be such a great solution, do you think

The Calhoun LAL seems to be such a great solution, do you think it will replace all present IOL when it finally gets FDA approval and when is that expected?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is very exciting and, yes, if it becomes FDA approved and does all the things that the current trails say it will, I would expect it to take over a huge piece of the market.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, no single style of intraocular lens works for every single patient so other lenses will continue to be used.

Customer:

I use my vision for fine hand sewing, art work, computer work and tennis.

Do you recommend I wait for the LAL to be available? I don't think I would be satisfied with any other lens.

Dr. Rick :

I don't know when it will be available.....no one does. It will most likely be years as clinical human trials have only just been started in Mexico and are slated soon to start in Spain. A start date for the USA has not even been set yet

Customer:

It has been available in Europe for several years.

Customer:

Clinical trials in Canada are finished and approval is being waited on.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. And if you wanted it now that is where you would have to go. You might be able to get into one of the clinical trials in Barcelona with Dr. Jose Guell.....

Dr. Rick :

But, in medicine there is always something better and greater......if you waited for the "ultimate, best technology" you would be waiting a lifetime.

Customer:

Are trials cheaper than the real thing?

Customer:

i am planning to go to Europe - $10,000 one eye.

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest you go with one of the multifocal lenses, or even a monofocal lens, if you need cataract surgery now. Millions and millions of people have then and continue to enjoy fantastic vision.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Everything would be at no cost to you in a clinical trial

Customer:

You didn't comment on my need for accurate lens result?

Dr. Rick :

Oops...sorry.

Dr. Rick :

Everyone need an accurate lens result and as, such, with the current generation of IOLs people have very accurate results most ending up with 20/20 vision, with some even getting better vision.

Dr. Rick :

Personally, I wouldn't rush to have this lens implanted in my eye. It is new and, when it comes to widespread use, problems may show up that have not shown up to date.

Dr. Rick :

But that decision is up to you.

Customer:

That's not what I understand. Not with monofocus lens for sure. Which multi would get you to 20/20? The new tri AT LISA?

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to see that you are taking the time to learn everything you can about your options

Customer:

The LAL has been used in Europe for several years.

Dr. Rick :

Multfocal lenses as they are currently designed have to give up something to get something (near and far vision). While 20/20 vision is possible and happens in many patients, you are right....it is not like the vision you had when you were 20 years old.

Customer:

That's why I am doubtful about the current lenses.

Dr. Rick :

In order to get near, intermediate and far vision with one lens, contrast sensitivity is lost, so even the 20/20 vision measured in the office is not the same as the 20/20 vision of your youth. But it is darn good.

Dr. Rick :

Well then you are correct....in your case a trip to Europe for the LAL would be the best think for you.

Customer:

I'll start saving up.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you can go wrong in either case. If you have one of todays FDA approved lenses implanted in your eye, if you just hate it, the lens can be removed and an LAL put in it's place, either here in the USA if, or when, is approved, or by going to Europe.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I don't think it's that easy to take one out and put another in.

Customer:

If I just hate the LAL it can be adjusted.

Dr. Rick :

This lens was a hot topic of discussion at last years American Academy of Ophthalmology Meeting in Chicago. Everyone is very excited about it.

Dr. Rick :

It is not that easy but it is done....

Dr. Rick :

And once the lens is adjusted once by ultraviolet light, it can not be adjusted again....it become like a normal lens.

Customer:

It can be adjusted several time before lock-in.

Dr. Rick :

That depends on how much power correction you do the first time....there is just so much of the unpolymerized macromers in the lens.

Customer:

You're right. My contemporaries are happy with their monofocals but they don't do fine work at near and intermed distances.

Dr. Rick :

Once the refraction is "locked in" with a second ultraviolet light burst to the entire optic, it can not be adjusted again.

Customer:

Right.

Customer:

Comment on the fine work aspect?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have looked at all your options and optical needs.....sounds like a savings plan and European road trip is in your future :)

Dr. Rick :

I wish all my patients took the time to educate themselves this much....it would make my life a lot easier :)

Customer:

Maybe Canada to the rescue.

Customer:

Thanks, bye.

Dr. Rick :

Well, if this lens does as it says fine work will not be a problem anymore then it was when you were 24 years old. Of course, millions of patients do extreme fine work with a monofocal lens and reading glasses.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.