Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

puffe eyes

puffe eyes
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your puffy eyes?

How long has this been going on?

Are both eyes affected the same?

Do they itch, hurt, etc?

Any swelling of the eyeball themselves?

Any redness?

Any discharge?

Do you wear contact lenses?

Do you have any medial problems or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

been going on for about a week I wake up and they puffe but go down doring the day

John,

While it is possible that what you are experiencing is due to allergies or water retention, the most common cause of puffiness like you are experiencing is a tearing of your anterior orbital septum.

The most common cause of swelling and dark circles around the eyes is breakdown of the orbital septum which allows the normal orbital fat tissue that surrounds and cushions your eyeball to "pooch" forward. As the day progresses this normal orbital fat can move back in place, which also can tear the septum even more....starting a vicious cycle. :(

As you know, there are tons of creams and lotions for the ladies to use for this issue. Why are there so many different ones? Because none of them work :-)

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.

Here is a good webpage that discusses this surgery:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharoplasty

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS