Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

got hit in the by a tree limb eye swolen and vision has a fog

got hit in the by a tree limb eye swolen and vision has a fog and out of focus
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available now to chat about your problem?
Customer:

hey my wife got hit in the eye by tree limb she was on a golfcart and the limb got whiped back and hit her in the eye .it is swolen and her vision in that eye is like seeing through a fog

Dr. Tom : Hello, how long ago did this accident happened.
Customer:

we put ice on it about 1 hour ago didnt know if we should go to the hospital or not

Dr. Tom :

Thanks for that information. Give me a second to type an answer for you.

Dr. Tom :

If the tree branch hit her with her with her eye open she could easily have a corneal abrasion. Corneal abrasions are very painful, and also cause blurred vision if the abrasion overlies the pupil. The second consideration is that if the impact was hard enough, there could be additional ocular injury. What concerns me is that your wife's blurry vision is like seeing through a fog. So the safest thing would be for her to go to an urgent care medical facility, unless you have an ophthalmologist, you can call on for advice tonight. At an emergency department, the physician will be able to determine the extent of her injury. Most emergency facilities have an ophthalmologist on call. The good news is that in the vast majority of cases like this everything usually gets back to normal. It just needs the proper treatment, and that can't really be established until a proper physical examination is done. Does that make sense?

Customer:

so we should go to a urgent care or er what your advice

Customer:

she says it like a white fog and a little blurry

Customer:

not painful now

Dr. Tom :

Either a hospital emergency room, or freestanding urgent care facility would be able to provide the services your wife needs. However, the best situation would be for her to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. Do you have any other questions about this that I may answer for you?

Customer:

would it be ok to wait till morning to see her regular eye doctor or better to go now to the er

Dr. Tom :

Well, since you have said she is not in pain, and now you say it is just a little bit blurry, I think it would be okay to wait until tomorrow morning to see her regular eye Doctor's. But please don't delay beyond tomorrow, because it's remotely possible that she has enough of a bruise to require some medical management. I hope this has helped you tonight. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer:

she says the vision is better than when it happened

Dr. Tom :

Well that is certainly a good sign. Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

she says the vision is better now than it was 30 minutes ago

Dr. Tom :

Great, I'm glad that things seem to be improving. Is anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

she says her vision is better than it was 30 minutes ago

Dr. Tom :

May I answer anything else for you?

Customer:

sorry about that it wasnt coming up on my screen

Customer:

no thanks for your time

Dr. Tom :

No problem, I have some of those same issues all the time. I just want to make sure that I have answered all of your questions so that you can check out and give me a positive rating

Dr. Tom :

I'll switch over to the Q&A section so that you can rate my help to you this evening. Please extend my best wishes to your wife.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Freddie, please take a minute to give me a positive rating. Experts on just answer are not paid anything at all unless you give us a positive rating.