Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

RA-HL

Customer Question

I have puffy wrinkly skin on my lower lid that I believe to be the result of an allergic reaction to makeup. What's the quickest way to eliminate the swelling?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

Hello! Thank you for your help

Dr. Tom :

Hi...give me a minute to type out some thoughts,,,,and then you can follow up with questions. Stand by.

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

Ok

Dr. Tom :

For allergic reactions on the eyelids, the first move is to always remove the source causing the allergies. You have done this already, I'm sure. At your young age, the lid tissues are very resilient and would be expected to return to normal on their own. In time

Dr. Tom :

Sorry I hadn't finished my typing when I hit the return button. Please stand by

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

yes sir I have.

Dr. Tom :

But when there is a lot of continued swelling and redness, one of the standard modes of treatment is the use of an over-the-counter dermatological soaking solution, called Domboro Soaks. The instructions are on the box, but I often ask my patients, depending on severity, to use the soaks a day four or five times a day. Then we will follow this by the application of a dermatological steroid cream. One that I frequently prescribed is called Desowen Cream. You would have to have a physician writes that for you. Some patients on their own, will purchase a very low strength hydrocortisone cream that is over-the-counter. The good news is that all of these techniques work, and most patients have their swelling resolved pretty quickly. So let me give you a minute to think that over, so you can follow-up with any additional questions that come to mind.

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

The swelling isnt itchy. Do you think its posdivle its not an allergic reaction?

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

possible*

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

It stings slightly when I put vaseline on the swelling.

Dr. Tom :

Based on the way you posted your question, an allergic reaction would be really high on the list of causes. I have seen many patients with pretty severe allergic eyelid problems, that we actually know were reactions to certain eyedrops, who had puffy eyes, wrinkle skin and a lot of redness. They responded to the type of management I described above. Actually Vaseline, which is a wonderful product for many situations, is really not indicated under the circumstances you described. I saw the Asterix, you placed after the word possible. Was that just a spelling correction or was there something else you had in mind?

Dr. Tom :

Please let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

it was a spelling correction.

Dr. Tom :

Okay. Give the Domboro Soaks a consideration. And thanks for letting me help you with this. Best wishes

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

I do believe it is a reaction to makeup. Was just wondering if there was a way to speed the healing process.

JACUSTOMER-mtq86vpa- :

How long does it usually take before the swelling goes down?

Dr. Tom :

Yes, I understand. By increasing the moisture in your lid tissues using the soaks, healing is enhanced.

Dr. Tom :

Usually a day or two results in significant improvement.

Dr. Tom :

Since you have stepped off-line, I will switch our live chat over to Q and A so that you can rate my response and my help to you. If you need to come back and asked follow-up questions later, after you have rated this conversation, you're welcome to do so.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything else I can answer for you? If not, please don't forget to click the big smiling face to rate my help for you. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Dear Gigi,

Please take a minute to rate my service to you in answering your question. Those of us who work to answer questions are not compensated unless you give us a positive rating. Thank you.