Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Im having eye pain whenever I close one eye or keep it open

I'm having eye pain whenever I close one eye or keep it open for too long. It tears up when I try to keep it closed to go to sleep, and it's extremely sensitive to light for longer than the other while adapting to changes in light level. It also seems to be, possibly, swollen, and although I've tried rinsing it out with water and moving eyelashes or any other possible debris from it - it won't stop annoyingly hurting. I checked on WEB MD and it basically told me to go to the ER. I have MS in my family and had uveitis once a as a teenager. I'm 34 now, and don't have the same symptoms as that time, but, thought I should mention it. Also, the other day the contact for this same eye was dry and irritating, upon taking it out, I really wondered if I'd hurt my eye because it was so stuck to it before removal. I'm not sure what the problem is, I'm wondering if I should go to the ER, take a pain reliever, or take an antihistamine, although I don't suffer from any allergies that I'm aware of. Any help will be appreciated - Thanks

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

If you have any specific questions, please ask .

Doctor DanB : There are a few possibilities that may be causing your symptoms right now. The first is a significantly dry eye. The second is a contact lens induced keratitis. The third is a corneal abrasion and/or ulcer. My first recommendation is to keep the contact lenses out for the next 1 to 2 weeks. This would apply to any of these three problems. I would also advise using artificial tears 4 to 5 times, as well lubricating eye ointment at night. In addition using cool compresses and taking ibuprofen or Tylenol regularly can also help with this pain and discomfort. If your symptoms are not significantly better after 48 hours of doing these measures, I would recommend seeing your eye doctor, preferably an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist. But it is important to make sure that you are not wearing your contacts right now. If there is an eye infection then the continued use of the contact lens can put your eyes at risk for permanent damage and permanent vision loss. Does this make sense?

Yes, absolutely. I can do everything you've recommended, as well. Do I need to take out the contact for the other eye as well? And, are there any symptoms other than it not getting better within 48 hours that I should recognize as extremely serious? WED MD is scary!

Doctor DanB : Yes, I would not worry about Web MD--I think they are way off base here. If you start to have significant eye redness, significantly worsening pain, light-sensitivity and/or your vision becomes significantly worse then that should prompt you to see your ophthalmologist sooner. I would keep the contacts out of both eyes.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

I thought they might be off base, too. Although, I have light sensitivity already. Does that change your answer at all? If not, I have no other questions.

Doctor DanB : No. I expect that; if it gets significantly worse that's an issue.

Ok. Thank you

Doctor DanB : I hope this has been helpful. You're welcome. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!