Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

a friend of mine in recent days has been suffering from bloodshot

a friend of mine in recent days has been suffering from bloodshot eyes.
very sore. now she went to local doctor. he gave her antibiotic cream.My question is
how long will it take for cream to work and eyes to improve ? She is very concerned

Welcome to

Not every red eye would respond to antibiotic eye ointment. Apart from infection, red eye can also be seen incase of eye allergy,, dry eeyes or sub conjuncibal hemorrhage.

Antibiotic eye ointment help on case of an infection and can be given for a week. If symptoms persist inspiteof that then it is better to gt the eeyes examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any. Thank you and best wishes. It was a pleasure to have answered this question. Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist