Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I accidentally put a drop of a tooth desensitizer product (made

Customer Question

I accidentally put a drop of a tooth desensitizer product (made by Kor whitening...contains benzalkonium chloride, fluoride and HEMA) in my eye instead of the drops that I should have put in for pink eye. Of course it stung awfully and I flushed it with water. Now my eye is obviously sore and irritated....should I go to the ER? My dentist isn't on call and I cannot get in touch with him, I can see out of my eye, its just the littlest bit blurry.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. There is no need to go to the ER.

Dr. Rick :

You have already done the best treatment: Flushing your eye with a lot of water.

Dr. Rick :

You eye will be just fine although it may feel like something is in it for the next 24 hours, sting and be a bit red.

Dr. Rick :

At this point you should use artificial tears to soothe your eye as well as a cold compress to help it to feel better.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : No. There is no need to go to the ER.
Dr. Rick : You have already done the best treatment: Flushing your eye with a lot of water.
Dr. Rick : You eye will be just fine although it may feel like something is in it for the next 24 hours, sting and be a bit red.
Dr. Rick : At this point you should use artificial tears to soothe your eye as well as a cold compress to help it to feel better.
Dr. Rick :

One other, unrelated question: What drop are you using for "pink eye" and who prescribed it for you?

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Let me know if you want to talk more about your pink eye/drop issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to view my post above? The chat system has been acting up a bit this evening :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.....I'm sorry I was away from my computer..... The eye drops are poly yin-B and were prescribed by a general doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing.....should I use the polymyxin drops tonight or wait?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Those are not needed as pink eye is a virus. I'd stop the drops.

In my town the general MDs and I have a deal: If I don't treat heart attacks they won't treat eyes lol!

Here is some information on viral conjunctivitis, AKA Pink Eye:

As this is a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in two weeks or so.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects

As we discussed above, there is need to worry about your eye.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Have a good weekend :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you mean to say there is NO need to worry or there IS need to worry about my eye? And I may be misspeaking.....the doctor didn't actually say it was pink eye.....he actually is referring me to a opthamologist, but said to use these drops to see if it helped, which is does seem to. It's only been 24 hours but my eye seems to be getting better. I had a lot of redness and some crusting around my eye upon waking in the morning....not a lot of itching, which I know is classic pink eye. Any thoughts?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
There is NO need to worry about your eye. Everything will be fine.

If the drops are helping it will be OK to continue to use them.

The redness and crusting could be from a number of things.....but if the drops help, maybe that will solve the issue :)