Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

It looks like there arent any eye MD,s online now (eye professional

It looks like there aren't any eye MD,'s online now (eye professional would be preferred)- but hopefully, someone online feels 'qualified' to answer!

I was scrubbing a sink when a small drop of Comet cleanser with bleach (diluted with water) splashed into my eye. I immediately flushed it with about a half bottle of Murine Natural Tears. I then flushed it with luke warm water for several minutes.

Of course, after all of that 'irrigation.' it feels irritated and slightly burning - but the eye itself doesn't really look red or irritated. I'm loathe to go the ER for this (I went a few years ago, after getting some Windex in my eye - and it was pretty awful). Poison Center says to gently rinse for 15 minutes and then wait an hour to allow the eye to calm down from the Comet and the constant water/flushing.

Is there anything else I need to do? Assuming the eye calms down over the next hour or two - and isn't red or pink, can I assume no harm was done? Should I do brief, periodic flushes throughout the day? Are Natural Tears drops not the best option (I know they contain preservatives)? I have some eye wash somewhere - which I can also use, if needed.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : You have already done the correct thing. If your vision is relatively intact, and you only have mild irritation without significant redness or discharge, then you can just treat this at home with artificial tears 4 to 5 times per day, cool compresses, and lubricating eye ointment. The only reason to rush into the ER for severe pain, redness and significant vision loss. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Sorry - I had to take a phone call..... There is no real redness (at least not significantly more than the other eye). However, it does still feel irritated with a mild burning sensation (although some of the burning may actually be the the delicate area (skin) surrounding the eye). I couldn't tolerate the recommened 15 minute flush (it was triggering a migraine), but I did about 5-7 minutes, in addition to the half bottle of Natural Tears. If the burning continues throughout the day, but there's no redness or visual changes, am I okay just using the drops? When I use the drops, should I use enough to fully flush the eye, or just enough to lubricate? I tend to have dry eyes anyway,but generally only need/use drops whenever I wake (since my eyes feel like they're glued to my eyelids after sleep).

Doctor DanB : Yes, you are okay to continue, then, to use the drops; just use one drop at a time.
Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate the reassurance. So it's 'normal' that it may continue to feel irritated/burning for the rest of the day? If it continues into tomorrow, but there's no redness or visual changes, am I still okay to just continue with the drops only?

Customer:

Looks like you're offline. Are redness and vision changes the only symptoms to be concerned about, or is ongoing burning worrisome?

Doctor DanB : I would start to worry if the burning persists after 48 hours.
Doctor DanB : That should prompt you to see your eye doctor.
Customer:

Well, hopefully it will subside in less than 48 hours - but in the event that the burning does persist, in the absense of redness/changes in vision, what would that indicate? Wouldn't any actual damage to the eye declare itself within a fairly short period of time (i.e. Visual changes) - or would it continue to do 'chemical damage, even after that level of water dilution? Frankly, I think the water (though necessary) may be the bigger (or equal) source of irritation right now. I also think that perhaps the tissue under and around the eye is equally irritated. That area is always very sensitive for me (most under-eye creams and certain make-up brands make my eyes tear badly/get puffy, etc.).

Doctor DanB : The chemic damage can cause a conjunctivitis which may need a prescription steroid to help calm down--you should know that by 48 hrs.
Doctor DanB : If an equal amount of water only hit the eye it wouldn't cause the reaction if one drop if this chemical.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
Customer:

Not sure what this means: "If an equal amount of water only hit the eye it wouldn't cause the reaction if one drop if this chemical." Maybe my comment was confusing. When I referred to the water causing equal irritation, I meant the 'post-event' irrigation with water, not that the water (mixed with the Comet) was an equal irritant. Does that make sense? If I develop conjunctivitis, wouldn't I see discharge of some kind?

Doctor DanB : Oh I see. Then forget my comment. Yes, sometimes just the flushing can irritate the skin. No, many conjunctivitis episodes don't have associated discharge or severe redness.
Customer:

So, unless I'm symptomatic, there's no way of knowing if I have it - other than seeing my doctor?

Doctor DanB : Yes. But if you're asymptomatic, I wouldn't worry about having it.
Customer:

Thanks so much for your help (and patience)!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology