Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

hello, mi name is XXXXX XXXXX had zoster back in september of

hello, mi name is XXXXX XXXXX had zoster back in september of last year, on the right side of my fore head, it affected my right eye as well. its been 8 months, i do not feel pain but the itching, burning and numbness its still there. i do not what to do any more, my doctors tell me that its just a matter of time.... is there anything that you could recommend for the itching and burning? thank you so much. my e mail address [email protected]
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am glad to hear that your eye is OK. Unfortunately, the discomfort you are feeling is common after a zoster outbreak. :(

That being said yes, there are things you can do.....

Relief has been obtained in many cases with the use of medications called Tricyclic antidepressants such as nortriptyline etc. Also gabapentin and topical lidocaine patches can reduce the pain.

Some patients get good relief with a topical cream containing capsaicin. This is available in the brand names Capsin and zostrix.

While narcotics such as morphine and oxycodone can make the pain less I do not recommend them for this condition as long term use is needed in many cases and they have significant side effects.

I would suggest talking to your primary care MD or, if needed, a pain management specialist.

As you can see, there is no need for you to suffer as much as you are -- therapy is available and can make you feel better.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much Dr.

i will talk to my Md. about this. my problem is the nerves, its all about the nerves, so i am trying to find a medicine that will take away the itching and burning sensation until all of my nerves are restored. any specific medicine you would recommend?

i have skin decoloration from the blisters and all the scratching only on the right hand side of my head, is there any thing that you would recommend for this? may be a cream? thank you for your time, carlos.

All of the medications I listed work on your nerves.

For instant relief I would suggest using a lidocaine in the affected area.

Here is a very good article that goes into more detail from a very reputable source that you might find helpful:

As you can see, you can be helped. :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.