Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

skin on upper eyelid sticks to skin above and causes irritation

skin on upper eyelid sticks to skin above and causes irritation and pain...on both eyes...do not wear contacts, just regular wywglasses. has been going on for 6 months. My Ophthalmologist has no answer.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

I'm sorry you are having your eye problem. May I ask you an additional question to help me find an answer for you?

Dr. Tom :

The status bar says you are standing by..so if you are available to chat plrease reply.

Dr. Tom :

Sorry to miss you....please leave a note here and I will check back later to have a chat before trying to give an answer.....but actually it is likely that something can be done.

Customer:

Sorry to miss you. I go to work at 3pm and am home most of the morning and early afternoon

Customer:

when will Dr. Tom be online again

Dr. Tom : Hi again.........since we are having a bit of trouble getting a chat going, let me answer and you can ask follow up questions.
Dr. Tom : in my practice I treat many patients with your symptoms in the following way: soak the lids using an over the counter soaking solution called Domboro Soaks, three times a day for the first week, followed by a very light application of one of the dermatological steroid creams (Desowen Cream is an example, but must be prescribed by an MD). If there is any significant amount of redundant upper lid skin we will consider a surgical procedure to remove the excess skin........but the soaks and cream usually manages the symptoms pretty well........I hope this helps you. Please write back if you have other questions.
Customer:

you say soaks and creams can manage the symptoms, but what is causing the pain and irritation?

Dr. Tom : Do you have the excess skin that I mentioned?
Customer:

yes, but not a lot like some people

Dr. Tom : ok........then it's likely the the skin on skin builds Up moisture....leading to very low grade irritation or inflammation, ...which is where the anti inflammatory steroids come into play.
Customer:

how long would I have to do this.....will this irritation go away

Dr. Tom : a week of concentrated soaks and cream often breaks the cycle......then it's off and on maintenance.
Dr. Tom : may I answer anything else about this for you?
Customer:

still looking for a cause. I did not all of a sudden grow excess eyelid skin. Does everyone with excess skin suffer with this problem. What do I do if this dosen't work.

Dr. Tom : No , not everyone.......but it's pretty common....and if you don't get the results you want, then have a consultation with an ophthalmic plastic surgeon specialist...it is usually insurance covered for the exam. Would you like for me to look up an appropriate doctor in your area for you?
Customer:

no thanks, XXXXX XXXXX see who is on my insurance plan. Thanks for your advice.

Dr. Tom : well best of luck.....try the soaks and cream first. Thanks for your question..please let me know how things go for you.