Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have two issues I wanted to discuuss. The first is vision

Customer Question

I have two issues I wanted to discuuss. The first is vision disturbances that I'm having that are "jagged star like" and start in the right corner of the eye and progress through the whole eye. Sometimes different colors, or gray,black and white. Usually last 20 to thirty minutes with out a headache. Also, most of the time in both eyes, though one will start and then the other. The other issue is nerve sensations in my left ankle and leg that has been going for a while. I broke my left ankle years ago..Medial malleolus the Dr. said. The same area is where the odd senastions are. There is a dull pain. Sometimes the sensations can be felt higher up the leg and inner thigh groin area.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Let me discuss your eye issue first:

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.
A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

Of course, the issue with your ankle and leg are not related to the above condition. What you are experiencing is most likely due to nerve damage that occurred when you broke your ankle. When this damaged nerve healed it did so in an aberrant way such that abnormal connections formed. This causes the dull pain and other sensations you are feeling.

I would speak to your primary care MD about this as there are medications that might be able to help decrease what you are feeling.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick,

My PCP prescribed Neurotin 300 mg for the nerve sensations. I was refered to neurologist for the eye issue by my oncologist. I have two questions; is the neurotin effective for this type problem, or do you just try different drugs till you find the most effective one? Also, would the neurologist be the doctor to help with nerve issues?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Jason,

Neurontin will not affect the issues you are having with your eyes but, yes, it is good choice for the problem you are having with your ankle etc.

You hit the nail on the head: Yes. Many time doctors try a bunch of different treatments/drugs until the best one is found for any particular patient. Our secret is out lol!

A neurologist is an excellent choice for your issue.

I hope you feel better soon. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help in the future.

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick thanks for your help. I have been to a retina specialist,and like you he believe the eye issue was same thing you said . Did all kind of eye tests, MRI of the brain etc..All good, but my new oncologist refered me to a nerurologist cause he is concerned it could be some type of seizure. I guess it's good , cause I can talk to him about the other issue. Again, thanks for your help and if I have an y more eye type issues I will visit again.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Jason,

My pleasure.

It sounds like you are getting very good care.

Have a good day and I hope you get to the bottom of what is going on very soon...