Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I just had cataract surgery about 2 months ago on my left eye.

I just had cataract surgery about 2 months ago on my left eye. I have had headaches since the very first day over my eye. Last week, a plastic surgeon noticed that there was a swelling over my left eyelid and said it looked like a gland was swollen. He recommended I get a complete work up from another doctor. What can I do to make the swelling go down?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

On which part of the eyelid is the swelling seen? Is it like a firm localised lump on the upper eyelid?

Customer:

No it is not firm..it is on the far lower left hand side of my left eyelid

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is it a small or a big swelling? Is it tender to touch? Is it soft or cystic?

Customer:

It is soft to the touch. It is a small swelling that this doctor noticed from across the counter. I now see it. It does not hurt to touch, but if I take my finger and lift it up, it helps my left eye to see better. There has been a feeling that there is a grey small blur around the outside of my left eyeball. When I lift the swollen part, with my finger the grey goes away.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does it look similar to this image- http://drelizabethnguyen.com/public/images/gallery/thumb/thumb_1351041243_chalazion44.jpg

Customer:

I cannot pull that up to view..can you try another way

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just a moment...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://homeopathyclinik.com/images/chalazion.jpg

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you able to visualise it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the swelling is causing pressure effect on the eyeball by causing a mild blurring of vision, It does need to be given a closer look by an ophthalmologist. Since you noticed it only recently ( in the last week or so), it could be an inflammatory swelling. Since it is non-tender, it could be a chalazion.

Customer:

What exactly is a chalazion.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A chalazion is an inflammation of the meibomian glands present in the eyelids ( modified sebaceous glands).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

They respond very well to warm compresses, given over 10 minutes, thrice a day.

Customer:

Would ice help to reduce the swelling?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But in case it persists beyond a month, it can be removed by a minor surgery at the ophthalmologist's office( by incision and currettage).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ice would not help in this condition.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, it does. I do not have an appointment with an eye doctor for another 2 weeks. I have chosen to go to someone other than the doctor who operated on me. The left eye has always felt uncomfortable and always had the grey hue around it since day one. I do not know if the gland has been swollen since I cannot see up close in the mirror. It is now noticeable since someone brought my attention to it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A second opinion is always welcome whenever there is a doubt regarding the diagnosis.

Customer:

I