Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have been getting contact lenses for years from the office

I have been getting contact lenses for years from the office where my opthalmologist, optometrist and contact lens person work. I know there's a large mark-up on contacts and that a lot of places like Costco's or on-line places like lens.com sell the lenses much cheaper. I have heard that it's not a good idea to get contacts from places like that and I don't want to take any chances damaging my eyes. At the same time, if the contacts come in the same packaging as what I get (optix), I can't understand why it would matter where you get them from. I'm not asking you to comment specifically on Costco or any other seller (which I'm sure you can't do on here anyways), but rather am asking if there's any reason from an eye safety or other perspective that it's a mistake to buy the contacts from somewhere other than an optometrist's office. Thanks.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Hello,...you are absolutely correct in your assessment. For many years I have supported my patient's decision to have my CL Rx purchased at discount marketers. I have not personally seen any negative effect from their purchases from independent sources.,,,,,,so to answer your direct question..." if there's any reason from an eye safety or other perspective that it's a mistake to buy the contacts from somewhere other than an optometrist's office."......the answer is go right ahead. Choose the best deal.....and......thanks for your question.

Customer:

Thanks.

Hi Ellen....please don't forget to give me a positive rating. Thank you.
Thanks Ellen...I received the notice. Please direct any eye question you may have to me personally if you like. Best wishes.