Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Dr DanB, I read your answer regarding "How is retina

Dr DanB, I read your answer regarding "How is retina thickening treated? What causes this condition?" on http://www.justanswer.com/eye-health/5b3u9-retina-thickening-treated-causes-conditi.html. I would like further amplification.

I suspect (but who knows) that my retina thickening was caused by a blow to my eyes a few years ago. I am 70 yrs old now.
Scar? floaters, retina thickening resulted. Scar and floaters were removed by vitrectomy and membrane peel. Then Ketorolac drops were used 3-4 times a day and 3 Avastin injections in the eye at 1 month intervals. (If needed, I can send you the surgen's report and copies of laser tomography printouts). The retina thickness in my right eye was 420 um on 2/7/2013.

The webpage asked me 'what I have tried so far'. Not what my question is :-)
My questiona are:
- would laser intervention be applicabe?
- would laser light harm the nerves?
- what other methods or procedures could possibly work to reduce the retina thickness?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Thank you for your patience.

I see that it has been quite some time since you asked your question. DrDanB does not seem to be available at this time. Can I assist you or would you rather continue to wait for DrDanB?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please go ahead and answer my inquiry originally directed to Dr DanB

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I am a retina surgeon and, from what you have posted, it seems that your current macular thickening is due to leaking blood vessels, possibly a choroidal neovascular membrane.

Let me answer your questions in order:

1. Laser was the only treatment available before we had injectable medication like Avastin. In my practice I will use laser if the injections don't work. As such, laser treatment would be applicable in your case.

2. Laser destroys the abnormal blood vessels that are leaking and causing the retina to swell. It also destroys a small area of retina in the hopes of saving a larger part of retina and, therefore, vision. The laser is not usually used near the optic nerve so, as such, it doesn't destroy nerves...but, any nerve that it hits would be damaged or destroyed.

3. That all depends on what exactly is going on with your retina. Your retina surgeon, who knows your particular case the best, XXXXX XXXXX the person to ask.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any other treatment or operation, besides laser, that would be applicable?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That depends on exactly what it causing your retinal thickening, but injections with either Avastin,Lucentis or afibercept are the standard of care at this point. After that the "old standby", laser, is used. Then surgery...which you have already had.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest