Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

About 10 minutes ago I began to see a squiggly line in the

About 10 minutes ago I began to see a squiggly line in the area of my left field of vision. I thought at first it was due to looking at a light bulb when turning on a light. Apparently it isn't. It went from a small squiggly line to a larger lines in my left periferal part of my vision. I also see them moving and flashing slightly. Is this anything to be concerned about.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have a headache too?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have known history of migraines?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scintillating_scotoma.gif

Customer:

I don't have a headache. I have had a history of dizziness in the past, but not headaches.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

this link shows howa scintillating scotoma would look like in migraine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you short sighted? Do you wear glasses or contact lenses for it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

I checked out the link. That is very similar to what I have, except mine was way in the left periferal area, not toward the front. It seems to be going away now. I am nearsighted with a condition called (can't spell this) Keracotoneous, something with my eyeball shape. I do wear contacts. Hard lenses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, your description is quite similar to a scintillating scotoma of migraine. These episodes are intermittent and can last from few minutes to an hour.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But these are not related to Keratoconus however.

Customer:

What would cause this all of a sudden? I was worried about retinal detachment

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The very fact that the squiggly lines are disappearing shows that it is not a retinal detachment(RD).

Customer:

It really scared me. Can you have scintilating scotoma without headache?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In RD the symptoms are characterised by sudden onset of flashes of light and a bout of floaters just like a shower. Along with this there could be a sudden reduction in vision or blurring of vision as if looking through a veil or a curtain. But this blurring would continue to stay and would not disappear after a while.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, one can have a scintillating scotoma even without a headache.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that make sense?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There seems to be a problem with the chat .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You there?

Customer:

I am wandering if a serious underlying condition can cause this? Like a stroke, etc.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, stroke would not present with such symptoms. Transient ischemic attacks can cause visual symptoms but those are more like brief loss of vision for few seconds or a minute.

Customer:

I never had anything like this before. Why all of a sudden?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is no known explanation for such a visual aura in migraine.

Customer:

Is it possible I will develop a headache from this? I don

Customer:

or is it strictly ocular?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Due to reasons not understood, there is some kind of disturbances in the blood flow in the blood vessels in the brain which are responsible for most of the symptoms in migraine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This is not ocular problem.

Customer:

Okay. Thankyou for your information. It really scared me.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.