Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am getting w computer glasses today and I have some questions

I am getting w computer glasses today and I have some questions about ani-glare coatings, and scrath-resistant coatings, and want to know if thre are any brands of single vision lenes for pc work that have these coatings built in so I do not need to purchase them as extas - not sure which type of expert I need.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, those are only available as after manufacture treatments. The lenses do not have that built in

Dr. Rick :

Glass lenses do not scratch very easily and, as such, do not require an anti scratch coating but they are heavy and would still need an anti glare treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I last VDT glasses I got were Essilor lenses and my optician told me that the AR Coating was an inherrant property of the lenses but you are saying that no lenses include these properties. I'm confused.

That was my understanding...but I have to admit: I might have been wrong.

....And you know how just how hard that is for surgeon -- especially a male surgeon -- to admit :)

I would trust your optician on this issue.

Sorry about any confusion I may have caused you.

Have a good day.