Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My wife was just diagnosed with preretinal gliosis. She has

My wife was just diagnosed with preretinal gliosis. She has blurred vision caused by a cataract. The opthamologist urged her to see a retinal specialist who would remove the membrane after he removed the cataract. what are the main possible complications of this and does it seem like a prudent course of action?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Hello. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Tom : Hello, first I would like to say that your wife's two problems are something that we see and deal with on a daily basis in an average ophthalmology practice. Also, while it is pretty normal for people to have concerns about eye surgery, the outcomes of both the cataract surgery and the retinal surgery are exceptionally high.
Dr. Tom : So, to give you a direct answer to your question, yes it is prudent and your wife has a very high probability of an excellent outcome.
Customer:

What are the possible complications of the retinal surgury?

Dr. Tom : The complication rate is extremely low in the hands of an experience retiinal surgeon. Some of the specific potential complications are retinal detachment or hemorrhage. There's also the remote possibility of an infection. But these are extremely rare.
Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX help her