Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, I am a 28 year old male and for the past 3 months I

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 28 year old male and for the past 3 months I have developed dark circles around my eyes, and slightly pale skin. I have been a vegetarian for about 4 years now, eating plenty of fruit and veg... I take liquid iron supplements and also exercise regular. Just curious if this is normal, or if I am lacking something nutritional or is it something more sinister?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to upload a picture? You can use the paperclip on your screen.

Customer:

unfortunately i dont have any pictures on here to use

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted, I do not think you have to worry that you are suffering from some serious underlying medical issue.

Customer:

okay, so why do you think they have appeared in the past couple of months? is that common?

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual to get dark circles around your eyes and slight changes in skin tone. In the absence of any other symptoms or problems I really would not worry.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is common.

Dr. Rick :

If you are concerned the best way to be 110% sure everything is OK would be to consult with a MD in person and, possibly, have some blood work done.

Customer:

there have been various comments from friends and family suggesting that i look tired or ill etc

Dr. Rick :

Do you feel tired or ill?

Customer:

not really. sometimes a bit tired, but only if ive had a late night.

Customer:

ive noticed that the cold has affected me a lot more this winter than it normally would and the darkness is more evident when its cold.

Dr. Rick :

Then I would politely tell your friends and family that you feel fine but tend to party like a rock star......so you look tired sometimes lol!

Dr. Rick :

Once again, that does not make me concerned that you have some underlying medical problem. Of course, you can consult Dr. Google and find all sorts of deadly diseases that fit your symptoms....that is why JA was invented so you could talk to a real MD with decades of clinical experience ;-)

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? Don't freak out. I think you are going to live to see 29 without any difficulties at all.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

right ok. but it is just odd that its only just come about that was all.

Customer:

you say perhaps a blood test?

Dr. Rick :

It is a bit odd, but not uncommon...nor is it a sign of a systemic disease.

Dr. Rick :

And a full exam by an MD. By doing this you would be 110% sure that, indeed, everything is OK.

Customer:

right ok i guess that wraps it up then.

Dr. Rick :

That being said I feel confident, given what we have discussed here today, that you have nothing to worry about at this point.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest