Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have problems with the vision in my right eye. When looking

I have problems with the vision in my right eye. When looking at bright lights or the tv screen, the lines seem to be glimmering. If I close the left eye I see a faint dull patch in the middle of my vision and colours look paler than in my left eye. In half light I have no trouble at all but I work in a classroom and the lights cause this shimmering and partial vision. My right eyeball has been larger than the left for several years now - I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with this problem. I have no headache and suffer only occasional migraines when I get the aura - my right eye is slightly reminiscent of these flashing lights.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

how long has this been going on for?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

Do you know why one eye is larger then the other now?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : how long has this been going on for?
Dr. Rick : Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?
Dr. Rick : Do you know why one eye is larger then the other now?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been going on for about 10 days now. I take thyroxine because I had radioactive treatment on an overactive thyroid about 8 years ago - otherwise fit and well. My optician didn't know why my right eye was larger but said he couldnt find anything wrong.
Gill
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
From what you have posted, am I safe in assuming that this, as far as you can tell, is not the same as the aura you get associated with migraines?

Also, is this change in your vision present all the time or does it come and go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its similar in that the aura is a sparkling semi circular pattern that spreads and lasts 30 minutes - and the lines are sparkling in a similar way. The gaps in vision are similar too although if I stare at something, it comes in and out of vision whereas the migraine vision loss doesnt vary - it just goes when the aura has passed. Also, the migraine isn't changed with lowered lighting whereas this disappears completely in low light or wearing dark glasses. Sorry, its rather hard to describe!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just add that I come from a badly sighted family - my mother went blind in her 50s and Dad had poor vision.This is why I'm concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. I've just had an emergency come into the office. I will come back online as soon as I get home this evening....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Gill,

Hi. I'm back :)

Do you know what, if any, the disease/diagnosis was that caused your mother to go blind?

Has any other blood relative become blind that you know of?

Sorry about having to leave earlier today. Please accept my apologies....

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes my mother had diabetes caused by obesity which led to kidney failure and blindness. I'm not overweight so I don't think its connected but thought I'd mention it anyway. No other relative has gone blind to my knowledge.
Gill
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I see that, for some reason, my reply did not come through above.....oh well, let me type it again :(

From what you have posted it does not seem that you need to worry that your vision difficulties are secondary to one of the inherited vision problems.

At this point I believe your first step should be to consult with an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) for a complete examination. While it is very possible that your current symptoms are a variation of your ocular migraine I would feel better knowing more about why your right eye is suddenly larger then the other. This issue is beyond the training and ability of an optician to deal with.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thank you for your patience yesterday. I didn't get out of the office until after 7pm last night :(
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest