Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i have spots in the back of my eyes; before surgery,i need

Customer Question

i have spots in the back of my eyes; before surgery,i need to know of alternate rxs like eye drops and glasses.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Tell me a little bit more about these spots in the back of your eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Is this something that you can see in your vision or are these spots something an eye doctor noticed during an exam of your retina?

Customer:

during an exame-poor vision in my lft. eye md said it was bleeding .before surgery,i would like to know if some other rx. is available

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon and deal with bleeding in the back of the eye every single day.

Dr. Rick :

Were you examined by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist (eye MD)?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medical problems?

Customer:

both

Dr. Rick :

Do you remember the doctor calling your condition "choroidal neovascular membrane" or "wet age related macular degeneration"?

Customer:

i am a diabetic --------no

Dr. Rick :

Did the ophthalmologist say you had diabetic retinopathy? Any extra information you can give me will help me to better understand what is going on with your eye and what your treatment options are.

Dr. Rick :

Is the ophthalmologist sending you to a retina specialist like myself for further treatment?

Customer:

well te m.d. wants to do laser surgery so this is my 2nd opinion. i am terrified of surgery----i need to know if i will have to get a needle in my eye so that i can be treated/?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds, from what you have posted, that you have proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Laser "surgery" is the Gold Standard treatment and, as such is the right thing to do.

Dr. Rick :

You will not need a shot in your eye. The laser treatment is, for the most part, painless.

Customer:

i have gone thru the red dye fase of the exam

Dr. Rick :

I do this type of surgery almost every single day in my office and have been doing it for over two decades. You need not fear this -- vision saving -- therapy.

Dr. Rick :

General ophthalmologists are very well trained in this type of surgery (called PRP) and only rarely does a retina specialist need to get involved.

Dr. Rick :

One thing I do want to stress: Time is of the essence. DO NOT delay treatment, as it will only get worse.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

Here is a very good article on PRP:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.retinalmd.com/en/services/in-the-office/panretinal-photocoagulation/

Customer:

ok, i was told that. so there is no other rx available?- i guess i will try to be brave thank you so much

Dr. Rick :

No. There is no other Rx available that works. Do not believe what you read on the internet about drops etc.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted your doctors are doing an excellent job and telling you the truth. Be brave, the treatment really is not painful, dangerous or scary at all :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks so much

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lottie,

My pleasure. Best of luck :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.